As a global organization, ONE is made up of multiple corporate entities. In the US, ONE refers to two organizations: ONE Action, a nonprofit, social welfare organization, organized according to Section 501(c)(4) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (IRC); and The ONE Campaign, a nonprofit, public charity, organized according to Section 501(c)(3) of the IRC. Outside of the US, ONE is made up of the following separate entities:
- Canada: ONE Global (Canada)
- Germany: ONE Campaign gemeinnützige GmbH), a German nonprofit limited liability corporation
- Nigeria: ONE Campaign Nigeria LTD/ GTE
- South Africa: ONE Campaign Africa NPC
- United Kingdom: ONE Against Poverty (UK), registered with the Charity Commission under number 1170855
While ONE operates multiple corporate entities, those entities share offices, staff, systems and databases, and a common mission. ONE Action is the entity which controls and operates ONE.org, but it shares data received with the other corporate entities described above.
ONE is headquartered in the United States and maintains its primary website servers there. As such, any information you provide will be transferred from your country of residence to ONE’s servers in the US. By accepting this Policy through submitting your information via this website, you are consenting to such a transfer. You can retract your consent at any time by contacting us.
Information ONE collects and how we use it
To fulfill its mission, ONE depends on the participation of people just like you. Our website is designed to facilitate that participation through interaction, which often means asking people for their personal information. What follows is an explanation of the ways in which we ask for your personal information.
Where applicable, ONE complies with European Union (“EU”) data protection law when collecting, using, storing and otherwise processing your personal data (as defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”)) and below is an overview of how ONE complies with EU data protection law.
- Lawful Basis: ONE will only process the personal data you provide (for example, your name, email address, and postal or ZIP code) where:
- we have lawful grounds to do so, including to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- we are performing a contract with you for our services;
- we have legitimate interests in using your personal data and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; or
- where you have given us your express consent to the processing in question.
- Data Controllers: The data controllers for the purposes of EU data protection law are ONE and its network of global affiliates. Those organizations include: The ONE Campaign, ONE Action, ONE Global Canada, ONE Campaign Nigeria LTD/GTE, ONE Campaign Africa NPC, ONE Campaign gemeinnützige GmbH, and ONE Against Poverty UK. We hope to continue to grow, so we will keep this Policy updated with any new entities incorporated in the future.
- Third Parties: As you will see in the policy that follows, we will never disclose your personal data except to ONE staff and ONE’s authorized agents (discussed further below). If we disclose your data to third party authorized agents, we will execute non-disclosure agreements to ensure your personal data is never shared, sold, or disclosed by the third party agent.
- Reason for Processing: By sharing your personal data with us, we count you as a “supporter” and, if you consent, send you emails about opportunities to take action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease in sub-Saharan Africa. The reason we process your personal data–keeping it on our systems and servers, contacting you with opportunities to take action, and counting you as a “supporter”–is to fulfill our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease. We will never sell or profit from your personal data. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Your Rights: If you are an EU/UK citizen and reside in the EU/UK, or are non-EU national residing in the EU/UK, you may have the following rights with respect to the personal data you provide to us, to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws:
- To withdraw any consent that you have provided to us to process your personal data.
- To access or rectify your personal data.
- To have your personal data erased if it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was processed, or you have withdrawn your consent to, or object to, its processing and there is no other legitimate grounds for processing it or you consider it has been unlawfully processed.
- To have the processing of your personal data restricted if you contest its accuracy, its processing is unlawful, we no longer need it but you need it for a legal claim, or you have objected to its processing and await verification of our legitimate grounds for processing it.
- To have your personal data transferred to another company under certain circumstances.
You also have the right to register a complaint with your national data protection regulator if you feel that your personal data has been unlawfully processed.
When you become a supporter of ONE, we ask for information, including your name, email address, postal or ZIP code and country of residence. We do not share or otherwise disclose any personally-identifying information collected in this process. Only ONE staff and authorized agents (as described further below) have access to personally identifiable information provided by you. You have the choice as to whether to provide such information to us.
A big part of our ability to influence people comes from petitions and similar actions. Before signing, you should know what information we will keep private and what information we will make public.
When you sign a petition or similar action on our website, we treat your name, postal/ZIP code and country as public information and may share this with the world leader or decision maker who is the target of the action.
When making such action information public, we will never disclose your email address or phone number.
Actions directly targeting decision makers
There are opportunities on our website for you to send messages directly to decision makers via email, twitter and letter. Due to the nature of the communication, whatever information you provide—your email address for example—will be shared with the message’s recipient. If you choose to share your contact information with a decision maker in this way, we cannot limit or control how, if at all, that person or organization will use your information or keep it private.
Our website has online form(s) and email addresses through which you can contact us with questions, concerns, to report problems with our website, or other issues. In order to respond to you, we need your email address and country in which you live. We will not use this information without your permission for any purpose except to correspond with you regarding your inquiry. You may use these online form(s) and email addresses to correspond with us regarding any rights you may have under applicable law, such as the right to be informed about the information we hold about you and its use, the right to have your personally identifying data corrected or updated, the right to block your information, and the right to have it ported to another organization. We will comply with laws applicable to you and us in resolving the issue you raise.
To unsubscribe from our email lists, click here.
In selected countries you have the option to receive messages from ONE via text message (SMS). Text messaging opt-in data and consent will not be shared with any third party, although your number may be provided to authorized third parties acting on our behalf to provide SMS transmission services.
If you wish to have your personally identifiable information removed from our systems, please contact us. Note, however, that while personally-identifying information disclosed in petitions and other actions can be removed from our systems, once it has been delivered to the target of that particular action, we cannot remove it from the target’s systems.
Subject to local regulations we retain your personally-identifying information for the duration of time you are subscribed and for a maximum 1 year after you unsubscribe. We retain personally-identifying information in relation to communications with us for 1 year. If you do not take any action for 1 year after unsubscribing, we will delete your personally-identifying information from our systems. Note for residents of the European Economic Area (“EEA”)/UK: if you choose to take an action but opt not to receive future emails, we will not count you as a “supporter” and will retain your personal data for a period of 1 year after you take action, then it will be automatically deleted from our systems.
We may use your information with third-party services to help us better understand and manage future public outreach on their platforms and to recruit new supporters in the fight against extreme poverty. When we do so, we will make sure that these third parties keep any information we provide secure and that they subsequently delete the information from their systems.
We may disclose your personal information as necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
Cookies are small text files stored on your computer, mobile or other internet-connected device by your web browser. They are used by most websites to facilitate certain types of functionality and usability of the website, including remembering you the next time you visit.
Cookies contain information about your use of a particular website but do not include any personally-identifying information by themselves (for example, they do not store your name or address).
To find out more about cookies more generally click here.
Any cookies installed on your computer by ONE will expire within the calendar year. Note, we do not control cookies installed by third-party providers (see below).
At the time this policy was written, the types of cookies used on ONE.org include:
These cookies are used to recognize return visitors to ONE.org so the site can remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble closing notification windows if you have closed them during a previous visit.
Similar to most websites, we use analytics to improve user experience and ONE.org’s functionality. We use external services, including but not limited to Google Analytics, to provide real-time reporting of, among other things, your use and navigation of ONE.org to ONE staff and our authorized agents. This reporting includes page views, unique views, unique visitors, repeat visitors, frequency of visits, and peak-volume traffic periods. We do not use this service to gather, request, record, require, collect, or track any users’ personally identifiable information.
If you do not wish your use of ONE.org to be recorded in this way, please visit the Google website for instructions on how to opt-out.
- Facebook’s data use policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other
You have choices with respect to cookies and can control which cookies to accept or deny by clicking on the ‘Cookies’ link at the bottom of any page on ONE.org.
However, please note that if you reject some cookies, your experience on ONE.org and on other sites may not be complete. In addition, if you do not allow cookies, you will not be able to take advantage of any personalized content delivery offered.
We do not knowingly contact or collect personal information from minors. ONE.org is not intended to solicit information of any kind from children under 13 (or if being a ‘minor’ is defined as a higher or younger age in your relevant jurisdiction, that relevant age), and we have designed the site to block our knowing acceptance of information from minors whenever age-related information is requested.
It is possible that by fraud or deception we may receive information pertaining to minors. If we are notified of this, as soon as we verify the notification, we will immediately obtain parental consent or otherwise delete the information from our servers. If you want to notify us of our receipt of information by minors, please contact us.
We use encryption technologies when transferring and receiving data from ONE.org. In addition, we have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss or misuse of information on ONE.org site that we have collected from you. However, the transmission of information over the internet (or SMS where applicable) is never completely secure, so, while we do our best to protect personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to our website.
Terms and Conditions
By accessing ONE.org, you are agreeing in good faith to the following terms. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms and conditions, you may not access or use ONE.org. If you breach any of the terms of this Policy, your authorization to use ONE.org automatically terminates.
ONE’s Proprietary Rights and Re-Use Policy
The materials on ONE.org and our SMS service are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other intellectual property laws, and any unauthorized use of the materials may violate such laws. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, governmental regulation and guidelines with respect to or otherwise arising out of your use of ONE.org or our SMS service.
ONE.org provides links to other websites and resources. Because ONE has no control over these sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that ONE does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources.
In selected countries you have the option to receive messages from ONE via text message (SMS). Message and data rates may apply.
If you opt into this service you will receive up to 4 text messages per month on average, to the mobile phone number you provide. Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
You can opt out of this service at any time by texting the word STOP or contacting us directly.
If you need help with this service you can call us via the telephone numbers listed on our Contact Us page.
Claims of Copyright Infringement
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes on their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials hosted by ONE infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed, or access to it blocked. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirement.
ONE.org and its materials are provided “AS-IS.” ONE does not make any express or implied warranties, representations, or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the materials or related information.
ONE.org may include inadvertent inaccuracies or errors. Additionally, the possibility exists that a third party could make unauthorized alterations to ONE.org content or features. Although we attempt to ensure the integrity of ONE.org, we make no guarantees as to its completeness or correctness. In the event that a situation arises in which ONE.org’s completeness or correctness is in question, please contact us with, if possible, a description of the material to be checked and the location (URL) where such material can be found on ONE.org, as well as information sufficient to enable us to contact you.
Limitation of Liability
Neither ONE nor any of its affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents or consultants are responsible or liable for any damages of any kind arising out of or relating in any way to ONE.org and/or materials contained on ONE.org, any linked site or any content or service available through ONE.org, our your use of our website. Your sole remedy for dissatisfaction with the site, content services, or any linked site is to stop your use of it.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless ONE and our directors, officers, employees, and consultants, from and against any claim or demand (including reasonable attorney fees) arising from: (a) your activities in connection with ONE.org; (b) any violation of this Policy by you; and, (c) any allegation that any submissions or other materials you submit to us or transmit to ONE.org infringe or otherwise violate the copyright, trademark, trade secret, publicity right,or other intellectual property, privacy rights or other rights of any third party.
Submissions of Content and ONE’s Take-Down Policy
Submissions of content, materials, and postings must be consistent with the following policy; violation of this policy may cause removal of the content by ONE. By posting content, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
- Submissions may not contain material that violates or infringes any person or entity’s rights, including, but not limited to any copyright or the rights of privacy and publicity as those rights are defined under applicable law.
- Material submitted may not be defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, obscene, disparaging of any individual or entity, or be hateful or embarrassing in nature.
- Submissions may not include the posting of materials protected by copyright law, regardless of whether the work has been registered or not, without the express written permission from the holder of those rights.
- Submissions may not contain the brand names, trademarks, trade dress, logos, seals, or other representations that may be associated with a specific organization or individual, without the express written permission of the party or parties having rights and titles to such materials.
- Submissions may not contain images, photos, or works of art that are not owned entirely by the submitting party.
- No images of children will be posted unless appropriate licenses have been obtained from the children’s parents or other guardians.
- Submissions may not contain information, content, statements, or representations that are inflammatory, dangerous,life-threatening, inappropriate, indecent, obscene, tortious, injurious, defamatory, or libelous. Submissions may not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, or age.
- Submissions may not contain material that is unlawful.
- Submissions may not be intended to promote or otherwise facilitate any commercial activity, and submissions may not be commonly understood as “spam”.
ONE reserves the right to remove any additional content, including links, in whole or in part for violations of this policy or because the content has been deemed unrelated to the postings or discussion taking place.
If you observe any content or material on ONE.org that appears to conflict with any of the above requirements, please contact us. Postings may be removed and reviewed at ONE’s discretion, and only in the event that such contents are found to be consistent with the Policy will such content be reposted.
General and Changes
If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Policy, or portion of this Policy, to be unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to affect the intent of this Policy, and the remainder of this Policy will continue in full force and effect. Any failure of ONE to enforce or exercise any provision of this Policy or related right will not constitute a waiver of that right or provision.
Last Updated: May 2023