ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The US Government Relations Senior Coordinator is responsible for assisting the US Government Relations team in a variety of capacities, to include policy research and analysis, tracking Congressional hearings and events, preparing briefings and presentations, helping to develop legislation, scheduling, internal and external meeting and event preparation, and other administrative tasks, including the supervision of interns. Management of a policy portfolio will be considered based on experience. The Government Relations Senior Coordinator will work closely with the US Membership Mobilization and Communications teams, as well as the Global Policy Team, in carrying out these duties. The ideal candidate will bring experience working on Capitol Hill, other work with the legislative branch, or in a think tank on those issues, possess a high level of self-motivation, as well as a curiosity and interest in ONE’s core issues. This is a full time opportunity reporting directly to the Senior Director of Government Relations based in our Washington, DC office, serving in a hybrid office setting.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Conduct policy research and analysis on key areas to ONE, to include the U.S. foreign assistance budget and development programs focused on agriculture, global health, economic growth, and transparency.
- Draft government relations written products, such as congressional updates, hearing digests, briefing materials, event memos, and more.
- Work with US GR and Global Policy Team to develop US-focused legislative and policy proposals (bills, resolutions, letters, etc.)
- Dependent on experience, may oversee a policy portfolio of issues, establishing and implementing short- and long-term strategies in partnership with those across the US ONE office and other ONE markets around the globe.
- Individually contributes to team objectives and outcomes under moderate supervision with some latitude for independent judgment.
- Utilize strong communication skills to explain, interpret, and summarize new and existing information.
- Administrative work may include overseeing scheduling, travel, reservations, drafting materials, tracking of goals and outputs, and expense reports for the Government Relations team.
- Financial duties may include researching and monitoring departmental costs, preparing payment documentation, and obtaining proper approvals when necessary.
- Additional duties as determined
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred and at least 4+ years of professional work experience.
- Two or more years of experience working on Capitol Hill or some other legislative capacity or in a relevant think-tank or policy environment required.
- Understanding of the U.S. political process.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Work style exhibiting a high level of discretion and independent judgment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports a plus.
- Ability to work and live in the United States is required
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Self-motivated, intuitive problem solver
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remains positive and productive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Demonstrates critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
Fluency in English required.
No travel expectations currently. Travel expected to be less than 10% domestically.
$56,000 – $71,000 per year
Pay range as posted reflects the minimum to the midpoint of the external market salary range that ONE has adopted for this job level in the US. This salary range is based on compensation survey data for similar organizations and is used to set pay internally at ONE. Where a new hire’s salary falls within this range is based on a variety of factors, including the budget available for this position.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resumé and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.