In 2022 ahead of Italy’s legislative elections, ONE launched its campaign “Mannaggia la Miseria,” which translates to “damn misery,” to remind politicians that the time to end poverty for everyone, everywhere is now. Our Youth Ambassadors mobilised offline and online to ensure that sustainable development, extreme poverty, and global inequality were a priority for Italy’s leaders.
To achieve that, we used a few unconventional tools. Our Youth Ambassadors dressed in full electoral attire and posed for posters that covered the walls of Rome. They drafted a Youth Manifesto with their demands for the future, met with over 540 politicians, and distributed our recommendations to each parties’ headquarters.
What we did
- Our activists met more than 540 politicians, including 6 party leaders, 50 MPs, and former Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
- They created a Youth Manifesto with their recommendations for the government, sending a clear message that youth voices need to be included in decision-making.
- We hosted a press conference in the lower Chamber of the Parliament with our Youth Ambassadors as spokespeople.
- Posters of our Youth Ambassadors dressed in full electoral attire decorated the walls of Rome, which received the attention of the national press.
- Our campaign got over 50 media hits on national and local media outlets.
See some of our ongoing campaigns and learn more about how you can lend your voice to fight against extreme poverty.