Washington, D.C. – Today, Sheila Nix, U.S. Executive Director of The ONE Campaign, announced the National Advisory Committee for ONE Vote 2012’s efforts during the Republican primary process. ONE Vote 2012 is the organization’s campaign to engage directly with candidates, their staff and voters in key primary states about the importance of maintaining American leadership in the battle to alleviate extreme poverty and preventable disease.
“In addition to announcing this group of distinguished leaders, I am also honored to announce that former Governor Mike Huckabee and former Senator Norm Coleman have agreed to serve as the campaign’s national co-chairmen,” said Sheila Nix, ONE’s U.S. Executive Director. “They, along with others on the committee, have been long and dedicated supporters of programs that help some of the poorest people in the world have a chance for better lives.”
“Despite – or even because of – economic and fiscal challenges at home, it is critical that our elected leaders establish priorities and make decisions that are both strategic and in the long-term interests of the United States,” said Norm Coleman, Chairman of American Action Network and former Republican Senator from Minnesota. “Working with Governor Huckabee and the rest of the advisory committee, I will help candidates and voters understand how the less than 1% of the budget we spend on these programs helps people and nations prosper. And, it helps make the world a more stable, safer place.”
“Providing for America’s defense is our government’s number one priority and, to do it right, we must continue to invest in responsible and targeted foreign aid. U.S. foreign aid represents less than 1% of the total federal budget, yet it helps strengthen our allies, deprive extremists like Al Qaeda of new recruits, and save millions of women and children from AIDS and preventable life-threatening diseases like malaria,” Mike Huckabee, host of Fox News Channel’s “Huckabee” and former Republican Governor of Arkansas. “In today’s highly charged partisan environment, there’s not much politicians agree on, but I’m hopeful we can continue to stand together to defend America’s leadership role in the world, maintained through results-tested and cost-effective U.S. foreign aid. I’m proud to join my friends at the ONE Campaign to keep America the beacon of hope to all.”
Nix also announced that Sarah Huckabee Sanders will serve as the ONE Vote 2012 campaign manager.
“Sarah brings extensive campaign experience and real political savvy to our team,” said Nix. “Her leadership and management will ensure that our reach is both broad and deep, and that candidates are fully aware of the importance of our issues. We feel lucky to have her.”
Throughout the election season, ONE and its members will ask those seeking to be president to support programs that address critical needs in developing countries. Specifically, the ONE Vote 2012 platform encourages policies that will continue to support life-saving programs and promote the long-term health and economic progress of people in the world’s poorest places.
“The cost of continued American leadership in the fight against extreme poverty is relatively low, but the cost of turning our back would be high,” said Coleman. “We would be able to measure it in needless suffering, lost markets for American goods and, through economic losses and the potential weakening of new democracies, greater instability in the world.”
ONE Vote 2012 also launches today in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. Each state has an advisory committee of local Republican leaders. And, ONE Vote staff and volunteers are on the campaign trail to engage candidates and voters at community forums, campaign events, and meetings.
“We look forward to working with all of the leaders in these states,” said Governor Huckabee. “Norm and I had a very good call with them on Monday and there is no doubt in my mind that we have stellar leadership to take our ideas and policies directly to the candidates.”
The ONE Vote 2012 National Advisory Committee is made up of former lawmakers, veteran political operatives, and other influential voices in the Republican Party. It includes:
- The Honorable Norm Coleman, Chairman of American Action Network and former U.S. Senator (R-MN)
- The Honorable Mike Huckabee, Host of Fox News Channel’s “Huckabee” and former Governor of Arkansas
National Advisory Committee
- Tim Adams, Managing Director, The Lindsey Group and former Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs
- Whit Ayres, President, Ayres, McHenry, & Associates Inc.
- Judy Black, Policy Director, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP; Special Assistant of Intergovernmental Affairs for President Ronald Reagan from 1987-1989
- Tucker Eskew, Founding Partner, Vianovo, and former Deputy Assistant to President George W. Bush for Global Communications
- Ed Goeas, President and CEO of The Tarrance Group, a Republican polling and strategy firm
- Fred Davis, Chairman of Strategic Perception, Inc.
- Tony Fratto, Managing Partner at Hamilton Place Strategies; Former Deputy Press Secretary to President George W. Bush, and Assistant Secretary of the Treasury.
- The Honorable Bill Frist, M.D, former U.S. Senator (R-TN) and former U.S. Senate Majority Leader
- Rich Galen, Political consultant; Publisher of Mullings; Contributor to CNN, MSNBC, CNBC
- Michael Gerson, Senior Adviser, ONE; Columnist, Washington Post; Chief Speechwriter and Senior Policy Advisory to President George W. Bush
- Karen Hughes, Global Vice Chair of Burson-Marsteller and former Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs
- Cindy McCain, businesswoman, philanthropist, and the wife of United States Senator John McCain of Arizona
- Mark McKinnon, Global Vice-Chairman of Hill & Knowlton and former media advisor to President George W. Bush and Senator John McCain
- Jack Oliver, former Co-Chairman of ONE Campaign board; Senior Advisor, Barclays Capital; former Republican National Committee Deputy Chairman and Bush-Cheney ’04 Vice Chairman
- Dana Perino, President of Dana Perino and Company, former White House Press Secretary to President George W. Bush and Fox News contributor
- The Honorable Gordon Smith, President of the National Association of Broadcasters and former United States Senator (R-OR)
- Michael W. Smith, Grammy, AMA and Dove Award Winning Singer/Songwriter
- The Honorable John E. Sununu, Chairman, Waterville Valley Resort and former United States Senator (R-NH)
- Alex Vogel, Co-Founder and Partner, Mehlman Vogel Castagnetti Inc.
- The Honorable J.C. Watts, Chairman of Watts Partners; former U.S. Representative (R-OK-4) and Chairman of GOPAC.
According to Nix, The ONE Campaign will expand its advisory committee to include Democrats once the Republican primary process has run its course.
The campaign builds on the success of ONE Vote ’08 and ONE Vote ’10 which earned historic commitments from candidates, including President Barack Obama and Senator John McCain, and secured the support of a number of Senate candidates. In 2008, ONE members made more than 1,000 direct one-on-one contacts with the candidates and got each of the candidates to participate in ONE’s “On The Record” effort to address development issues. MEDIA NOTE: For more information or to request interviews with advisory committee members, please contact Kimberly Hunter at [email protected] or call 202-495-2792.