ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Working closely with the UK Team and colleagues across the organisation, the Policy and Advocacy Officer will provide thorough policy and trend analysis and briefings to advance ONE’s priorities in the UK. This role will also support ONE’s advocacy and campaign strategy targeting the UK government, working closely with government officials, the UK Parliament, and the wider NGO community.
Reporting to the Director of UK Policy and Advocacy, this is a permanent position based in London.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Assist with the preparation of ONE's position papers, publications, and policy research on UK development finance, global health, climate and other priorities.
- Support the UK team with the implementation of ONE’s advocacy and campaigns, engaging with key audiences to identify and leverage opportunities for policy change and deliver ONE's objectives.
- Build and maintain relationships with parliamentary offices and government officials, and ensure that insights are shared rapidly, and the impact of these interventions are monitored and recorded.
- Represent ONE at advocacy meetings and foster collaboration with NGOs and coalition groups focusing on priority issues, and ensure that the wider UK team is informed of these discussions.
- Manage policy and advocacy related projects, effectively coordinating with colleagues across the UK team and wider organization, as relevant.
- Monitor UK politics and developments affecting ONE’s issues and strategy, and share this analysis with the UK team to ensure ONE’s policy and advocacy is insight led.
- Any other duties as required and agreed with manager.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Two years experience working in a parliamentary, advocacy or campaigning role.
- Experience and knowledge of the UK Parliament.
- Experience working in the fields of international development or foreign affairs is desirable.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills with the ability to research a wide-range of topics using multiple sources.
- Ability to synthesise policy documents, identifying relevant key points and facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audience in a concise way.
- An understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective
- Excellent project management skills and ability to coordinate with the different functions in a team.
- A commitment to ONE’s mission and policy priorities.
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads; generally very well-organised; proven ability to multi-task.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
GBP 31,000 – GBP 35,000 annual gross
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Flexible working options available. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.