ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
The Senior Global Communications Manager will be a key member of ONE’s global communications team – and will play a senior role within the Communications and Content department and within the matrix-based global communications network. They will be responsible for setting and coordinating communications strategies for high profile campaigns, developing ONE’s public and media facing messaging, delivering communications plans, and leading key projects. They help develop new communications products and approaches that help reach new audiences and shape the debate on key issues.
The role holder will have experience developing communications strategies, supporting senior team members, managing events and budgets and supervising the development of publications and products.
This is a fixed term position for 9 to 12 months to cover a maternity leave.
The Senior Global Communications Manager will report to the Global Media Director, within the Communications and Content department and is based in London.
This ideal start day is 23rd May 2022.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead development and delivery of communications strategies for major global campaigns as specified
- Set direction and supervise ONE’s approach to thought leadership, events and convening
- Advise and help to build capacity of global communications colleagues and support market-specific activity as appropriate
- Develop and manage a strategy for raising the profile of the Africa team spokespeople and other African voices in Europe and North America
- Lead ONE’s approach to media monitoring and evaluation. Handling contracts with external providers and ensuring that ONE has high-quality analysis and reports.
- Collaborate with policy and advocacy leads on specific issues to identify campaign priorities, develop core messaging, and plan and deliver communications activities
- Drive the improvement of policy-related communications activity – working closely with the policy team to improve development and delivery of policy products and enhance the impact of tools such as Aftershocks.
- Support global communications and media leads, colleagues in the Communications and Content team – and others across ONE – to develop and deliver engaging content across different channels to reach our audiences with key messages, including through the development new and innovative communications products and resources.
- Deputise for Global Media Director as required
- Support the Global Media Director and the Executive Director of Communications and Content to build the profiles of senior colleagues and organizational spokespeople
- Develop and maintain external relationships and networks, especially within NGO and communications sectors.
- Stay ahead of trends and best practice in communications and bring insights into the team.
- Play an active role as a member of the Communications and Content department, taking responsibility for other projects as required.
- Additional duties as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 8+ years’ relevant professional experience including 3+ years’ in a management or lead capacity
- Experience of building relationships with journalists and securing media coverage
- Experience of reputation management with strong stakeholder management skills
- Experience of co-creating, planning, and delivering communications strategies
- Experience of working directly with senior leaders
- Experience of government and policy communications
- Evidence of a strong and successful track record of leading effective communications campaigns and working across different channels to influence key audiences.
- Crisis communication and reputational management experience
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and working quickly and under pressure
- Results driven with a creative approach regarding campaigns and engagement strategies
- Sets clearly defined objectives for himself/herself and the team.
- Identifies and organizes deployment of resources based on needs, taking into account changing circumstances.
- Awareness of what influences decision makers and how to achieve change
- Excellent social media skills
- Ability to work in the UK is required
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes action and is results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages highly preferred.
Flexible work environment.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.