Senior Director, U.S. Government Relations
Location: Washington, D.C.Apply Now
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
ONE is seeking a seasoned, highly connected and collaborative Senior Director, US Government Relations. The Senior Director, US Government Relations is responsible for developing and executing comprehensive strategies for promoting and defending ONE’s positions on appropriations, global health, agriculture, energy poverty, transparency, economic development, security and other key policy issues; representing these positions directly with national government policymakers (legislative and executive branch); working closely with senior ONE leadership in planning, implementing and evaluating our advocacy campaigns with our ONE membership and the public; and leading and directing a team of government relations professionals.
This is a full-time exempt opportunity reporting directly to the North America Executive Director and is based in our Washington, DC office.
The selected candidate is required to register under the US Federal Lobbying Disclosure Act.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Serve as ONE’s top lobbyist in the United States, leading efforts to directly influence policy on ONE’s issues in Congress and the Administration
- Manage, lead, and direct the government relations team providing active mentorship to encourage growth, effectiveness, and engagement
- Develop and execute strategies for advancing authorizing legislation through Congress, from conception to final passage
- Engage directly in the appropriations process to ensure ONE’s priority accounts are appropriately funded
- Work with the Member Mobilization, Digital, and Communications teams to develop and implement sophisticated advocacy strategies in support of our policy priorities
- Establish and implement short- and long-term organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures, in collaboration with other teams, as necessary
- Cultivate and maintain effective relationships with policy makers in the US to advance ONE’s policy priorities
- Track relevant appropriations and authorization bills and hearings, advocate on current or proposed legislation and amendments, create new legislative vehicles, gather up-to-the-minute intelligence on key issues/legislation, and keep key ONE leaders informed
- Advise and prepare briefing materials for ONE’s global leadership and principals on US policy matters
- Represent ONE’s positions externally with other nonprofits, public interest groups, coalitions, and other organizations
- Direct the activities and manage the contracts of government-relations consultants
- Oversee a team budget and manage projects within budget guidelines
- Liaise with other teams within the organization to advise and support ONE membership on grassroots and field strategies and actions to advance legislative priorities
- Participate in projects, committees and task forces as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE CAMPAIGN
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government, Economics, or a related Advanced degree a plus
- Ten years of legislative or issue-advocacy experience plus 3 to 5+ years’ in a management or lead capacity
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English, in particular with broad, diverse audiences
- Genuine interest and passion for ONE’s issues and priorities
- Demonstrated track record of keen interest in and understanding of US legislative process
- Strong existing relationships on Capitol Hill a huge plus
- Team player with superior interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize a number of projects in a fast-paced environment
- Significant experience successfully leading and managing a bipartisan team with diverse skill sets; proven motivator and developer of people
- Works well under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Ability to travel as needed (minimal)
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- The selected candidate is required to register under the US Federal Lobbying Disclosure
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required.
Up to 20% domestically and internationally.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Flexible work environment to include partial remote work. The employee will work at least two days each week in the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.