ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Director, Membership Mobilization will lead a team of staff and volunteers to generate concrete support of ONE’s policy objectives in Congress and the Executive Branch, work closely with the Government Relations and other internal teams to ensure the best strategy and tactics are deployed to the best advantage. The ideal candidate will bring experience in management of legislative issues campaigns, leadership development, membership education, government relations.
This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the North America Executive Director based in our Washington, DC office or remotely in the US.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Be primarily responsible for strategic and comprehensive deliverables of all US grassroots campaigns in support of ONE’s mission and policy objectives including but not limited to:
- Strategic campaign plan development, execution, and evaluation
- Motivating and developing the internal Membership Mobilization team to carry out the effective recruitment, training, and motivation of a cadre of high-quality volunteers, leaders, activists, and members in the US
- Working collaboratively with the Communications & Content team and the Engagement and Mobilization team to develop content and online campaigns
- Commitment to data, and accurate reporting of campaign metrics
- Serving as the liaison to other departments and teams to support US government relations objectives and other organizational priorities
- Serve as a member of NA Advocacy leadership team and work collaboratively with the GR, Canada, and Communications team leaders
- Represent the US team in global discussions around campaigns, membership, and metrics.
- Lead the Membership Mobilization team in the development of guidelines, processes, and procedures for US Campaigns planning, member mobilization strategies, and volunteer recruitment and development.
- Fiscally responsible for development and management of budget for Membership Mobilization team, ensuring the budget is in line with the strategic plan, properly managed to prevent any fraud or mishandling, and in line with program and resource plans.
- Responsible for resource allocation, including spending and workforce planning of Membership Mobilization staff.
- Collaborate with and contribute to SLT in defining ONE’s goals and strategic objectives.
- Develop and lead initiatives to recruit and retain volunteer teams to mobilize in support of legislation and policy, leverage partner relationships, and direct the creation of materials to support team efforts and campaigns.
- Represent ONE externally and influence partner organizations, influencers and elected officials.
- Serve as deputy to the North America Executive Director when needed.
- Additional duties as needed.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; 10+ years’ relevant professional experience managing issue advocacy campaigns and membership mobilization, plus 5+ years’ in a management or lead capacity.
- Subject matter leader in the workings of Congress, the Executive Branch, techniques for cultivating grassroots advocates and contemporary campaign tactics.
- Demonstrated expertise and a successful record of accomplishment in budget and people management and a demonstrated ability to strategically plan and run a successful campaign.
- Advanced leadership skills, critical thinking, and problem solving; ability to lead and motivate a large team.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and working knowledge of campaign platforms a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required.
Travel up to 20% (international and domestic).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid workplace environment. Team schedules and organization needs may dictate the days you need to work in the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.