Policy and Advocacy Officer
Location: Dakar, SenegalApply Now
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
The Policy and Advocacy Officer will coordinate and monitor the policy and advocacy deliverables in Francophone African countries. They will provide support to the implementation of the ONE Francophone Africa policy and advocacy priorities focusing mainly on Job creation and food sovereignty, among others. They will also work closely with the continental and global policy leads to ensure alignment across national and global policy objectives and deliverables. They will work with the local partners, program, and advocacy staff to develop advocacy goals for our priority campaigns
The position would suit a self-starter with at least 4 years of experience in policy development and advocacy and a track record of delivering in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, project management experience, a demonstrable commitment to ONE’s mission, and a good presentation.
The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal, and directly reports to the Francophone Africa Director.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Develop and execute advocacy strategy for Francophone Africa in relation to agreed priorities, working in collaboration with relevant Francophone Africa, African, and global team members.
- Carry out policy analysis to identify opportunities to advance ONE advocacy and campaigning towards agreed priorities, as well as alert on potential risks.
- Develop impactful and timely policy documents (briefings, position papers, reports, and recommendations)
- Organise policy debates to create opportunities for dialogue and influence policy-makers in Francophone Africa
- Initiate and maintain strategic relations with government officials and partner organizations.
- Develop /lead on documentation and dissemination of Francophone Africa policy and advocacy deliverables and results.
- Support global and Pan African policy and advocacy colleagues on any necessary workstreams
- Compile and submit timely project/program reports to the Francophone Africa Director.
- Work closely with the Africa and Global teams to coordinate and draft advocacy messages and materials that encourage people to get involved, take action, and help improve engagement.
- Contribute to creating content for the French version of the ONE.org/Africa site
- Draft papers/articles for publications in social channels and long-form copy for website content, blog, and email communications
- Work with Francophone colleagues to coordinate the creation of French copies and assets for use across Francophone countries.
- Any other duties as appropriate to the role
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor's Degree in social sciences, international relations, or development-related field preferred.
- Minimum of 4+ years’ experience working in policy, advocacy, and/or research in a multicultural environment.
- Previous experience in policy analysis and development is preferable;
- Passion for advancing social justice issues and ability to support local, national, and international advocacy initiatives.
- Fluent in French with a good command of English
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience using digital and social media platforms to support advocacy and campaigning efforts
- Experience working with young people and volunteers
- Self-starter who can work independently and has the desire to learn new skills
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to multitask and determine priority projects/assignments
- Ability to think critically and independently
- Strong communication skills
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to respond to a fast-paced work environment with shifting deadlines
- General interest and dedication to the mission of ONE
- Ability to consistently apply sound judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid workplace environment with the option to work @office or @flex. Must be available to work in-office at least 2-3 days/week. Business needs and team schedules may dictate specific days per week you need to work in the office. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Fluent in French with strong proficiency in English
Up to 10% of domestic travel.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume to this opening at ONE Job
ONE is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.