ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for an experienced development professional to join our team in Brussels as our Policy and Advocacy Manager for Italy and the Netherlands. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will provide policy analysis and writing on key development policy issues and support the implementation of our EU advocacy strategy in these countries – Member States where ONE does not have an office but does have active Youth Ambassador programs. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will work closely with government officials, NGOs and other decision makers and opinion formers. The ideal candidate will possess excellent knowledge of global development policy issues, as well as demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the EU institutions’ role in development and the political landscape in Italy and the Netherlands. They must be a great team player and self-starter with excellent communications skills and analytical ability. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will be based in our Brussels office and will report to the EU Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Represent ONE at meetings and conferences on relevant policy topics, as needed.
- Manage at least 2 direct reports leading ONE’s Youth Ambassador volunteer programs in Italy and the Netherlands, providing guidance and support to ensure ONE’s public campaigning and advocacy work is aligned and effective in both markets.
- Managing consultants, commission and perform general research and policy analysis on ONE's policy work relating to a broad range of development issues, including, but not limited to, ODA, global health, climate financing and transparency and accountability.
- design and implementation of ONE’s advocacy and lobbying strategy in Italy and the Netherlands, developing/maintaining relationships, including with government officials, politicians, NGOs and think tanks.
- Prepare documents on specific development issues for a range of internal and external audiences including policy pitches, talking points, briefings for ONE staff, volunteers and/or Principals, reports and media articles.
- Monitor and keep the team and wider organisation informed of news on development policies in Italy and the Netherlands.
- Provide the market-specific perspectives to global policy discussions, and ensure policy positions are compatible with target audiences in Rome and the Hague. Work internally across organisational teams to identify and leverage opportunities for policy change on these issues.
- Prepare ONE’s positions on key areas of the EU’s development policy and contribute to development of new / emerging policy areas within the organisation
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or the designee.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, law or a development-related field preferred.
- Six to eight years work experience in a policy, advocacy, government or campaigns role, with at least 3 years working within the European Institutions or for a Member State government, ideally with management experience.
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience of presenting to senior staff and external audiences.
- Ability to synthesize policy documents, identifying relevant key points and facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audiences in a concise way.
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy.
- Fluent in English, and Italian and/or Dutch.
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads.
- Generally, very well-organised; proven ability to multi-task.
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- Desire and ability to travel regularly (up to 10%)
- A commitment to ONE’s mission and policy priorities.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organisation
- Highly organised, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high-pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes action and is results-focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
IN RETURN, WE OFFER
- A fantastic opportunity to make a huge impact in the world working with a highly-visible, mission-driven organization in an incredible, supportive work environment.
- DKV health insurance
- Retirement Plan
- And much more!
Fluency in English required as well as either Italian and/or Dutch.
Travel up to 10% travel.
WORKPLACE FLEXIBILITY OPTIONS
A flexible workplace schedule is available, including working either 2 or 3 days per week remotely.
€54,101 – €70,331
Pay range as posted reflects the minimum to the midpoint of the external market salary range that ONE has adopted for this job level in the EU. This salary range is based on compensation survey data for similar organizations and is used to set pay internally at ONE. Where a new hire’s salary falls within this range is based on a variety of factors, including the budget available for this position.
INTERESTED? LET’S CHAT
Please submit an application, CV and cover letter on our jobs page. The deadline for applications is open until filling the position. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorised to work in Belgium without any restrictions need apply.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.