ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for an experienced development professional to join our team in Brussels as our Policy and Advocacy Manager. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will provide policy analysis and writing on key European development policy issues. This role will also support the implementation of our advocacy strategy with the EU institutions and in other Member States where ONE does not have a dedicated team or office, working closely with government officials, NGOs and other decision makers and thought leaders. The ideal candidate will possess excellent knowledge of economic, health, and climate policy issues in the EU, Africa, and globally, as well as demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the EU institutions’ role in international development. The candidate should have a solid understanding of the European political scene and processes for future European elections.
The successful candidate is collaborative and self-starter with excellent communications skills and analytical ability. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will be based in our Brussels office and will report to the EU Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Perform general research and policy analysis on ONE’s policy work relating to a broad range of development issues, including, but not limited to, ODA, the EU budget, MDBs, global health, food security, climate change, and EU-Africa relations..
- Working with the EU Director and the Policy and Advocacy leads for key EU Member States, design and implement ONE’s advocacy and lobbying strategy for the EU, encompassing all EU institutions and Member States, developing and maintaining relationships with EU officials and politicians.
- Represent ONE in multiple stakeholder coalitions and EU-wide development policy networks, and develop/maintain relationships in these fields, including with NGOs, international organizations and UN bodies, and think tanks.
- Prepare documents on specific development issues for a range of audiences including articles for ONE’s website, blog posts and talking points, and prepare briefing documents for ONE staff, activists and/or Principals.
- Provide the EU perspective and relevant policy insights to ongoing global policy discussions, and ensure global policy positions are compatible with a European audience. Work internally across organisational teams to identify and leverage opportunities for policy change on these issues.
- Prepare ONE’s positions on key areas of the EU’s development policy and contribute to development of new / emerging policy areas within ONE.
- Contribute to ONE’s EU and international reports, by providing EU-specific analysis, writing parts of the report and coordinating the production process for Brussels.
- Represent ONE at meetings and conferences on relevant policy topics, as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or the designee
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor degree, preferably in economics, law or a development-related field or equivalent
- At least six years work experience in policy, advocacy, government or campaigns role, with at least 3 years working within the European Institutions or within the EU political scene.
- Excellent research, writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience of presenting to senior staff and external audiences
- Ability to synthesize policy documents, identifying relevant key points and facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audiences in a concise way.
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy.
- Fluent in spoken and written English, with another EU language highly desirable.
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads.
- Generally very well-organised; proven ability to multi-task.
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- A commitment to ONE’s mission and policy priorities.
- Right to work in the EU
Flexible and remote working options are available. In an average week, you will be working one day from the ONE office.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening!
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only candidates authorised to work in Belgium without any restrictions need apply.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.