ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The North America Counsel will provide timely and sage legal advice to ONE globally. This is an exciting opportunity for a US-qualified attorney with experience in the nonprofit sector to manage complex projects and devise new approaches to intricate and significant issues while being part of a global team seeking to eradicate extreme poverty and preventable disease. This role requires regular contact with ONE business unit leaders and members of the leadership team and will have a significant impact on how they operate. This is a full-time opportunity (although part-time may be considered at a candidate’s request) reporting directly to ONE’s General Counsel. This position will be based in Washington, DC, and can be fully remote or under a flexible working arrangement.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Provide legal support on U.S., Canadian, and international legal matters regarding tax-exempt/nonprofit entities, lobbying, intellectual property, fundraising, operations, and programs.
- Conduct legal research and draft memoranda on various topics affecting the organization and provide strategic advice to the General Counsel and leadership as required.
- Oversee compliance for the US and Canada and assess and manage risk.
- Develop close working relationships with business units.
- Assist in improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Legal Department.
- Track progress against goals for internal projects.
- Advise on laws impacting tax-exempt entities, including lobbying and election laws and IRS Form 990.
- Keep abreast of changes in law in ONE’s markets and develop recommendations on how to comply with any such changes.
- Train staff on compliance with organizational policies and emerging legal issues.
- Review grant proposals, agreements, and reports for compliance issues.
- Manage state charitable registrations process.
- Ensure compliance with applicable registration requirements and annual filings across all offices.
- Ensure corporate governance requirements are met across affiliates in the US, Canada, and elsewhere as needed.
- Attend board and committee meetings as necessary, take minutes, and maintain books and records for the organization.
- Draft Board resolutions, policies, and other governance documentation.
- Analyze and advise on risk associated with various organizational initiatives, campaigns, and strategic goals.
- Maintain global insurance policies and advise on insurance-related matters.
- Draft, review, and/or negotiate transactional documents, including grant agreements, MOUs, partnership agreements, sponsorship agreements, supply contracts, and office leases.
- Organize and maintain contracts, legal documentation, and electronic files.
The above reflects the essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and a license to practice law in any state or territory of the US.
- A minimum of 5 years of legal practice as an attorney, preferably with experience working with US tax-exempt entities or international nonprofits.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication and negotiation skills.
- Superior legal research, analytic ability, and project management skills processes that deliver excellent results.
- Autonomous self-starter who can exercise independent judgment and focus on effectively resolving legal issues.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact with culturally diverse teams.
- Highly organized, with a track record of meeting short- and long-term responsibilities in a fast-paced, dynamic organization.
- Flexible and motivated to take ownership of projects and demonstrate follow-through.
- Proven ability to build effective relationships at all levels and across teams; builds trust quickly.
- Strong document management and organization.
- Committed to our mission of inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to change their world.
- A strong understanding of the complexities surrounding an international organization.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and collaborative.
- Independent and creative problem solver.
- Ability to remain positive and constructively engaged in high-pressure and stressful situations.
- Solid critical and analytical thinking.
- Able to handle difficult conversations with diplomacy and exercise confidentiality.
- Action oriented and results-focused.
- Flexible and resourceful in approach.
Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in other languages is a plus.
Travel up to 10%
Remote work environment and/or standard office work environment. Light to moderate lifting is required, and ability to manage stress involved with occasional travel. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resumé and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.