Intern, Policy and Advocacy (Canada)
Location: Ottawa, CanadaApply Now
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
Interns of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you intern at ONE, you will have the opportunity to learn more about ONE issues, add to your professional experience, and improve your skills. You will have the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
Application deadline is June 9, 2023.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
ONE Canada is seeking 2 summer interns, eager to learn and contribute toward the monitoring and coordination of strategic policy and advocacy initiatives.
- Monitor and analyze relevant political activity and national/international trends, predominantly at the Canadian federal level but also at any level that may be applicable to ONE’s scope of work.
- Draft background documents for the development of ONE’s campaigns and policy agenda such as policy briefs, background notes on topics like global health, climate finance, international assistance, food security, jobs and economic growth and related topics
- Coordinate with the Policy and Advocacy Manager to and contribute to the organization’s overall planning and accountability systems including reporting tools.
- Support the Policy and Advocacy Manager to draft communications with Members of Parliament and their staff
- Collaborate with ONE’s partners and allies on policy matters, organizing coalitions and joint efforts where strategic.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
This internship is part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To apply for this internship, you must be at least 18 years of age on the day of hiring, be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
The successful candidate will have or possess the strong potential to develop talents, aptitudes, skills and experiences in the following areas:
- Genuine passion for ONE’s Policy and Advocacy priorities and areas of focus such as fighting extreme poverty and preventable diseases, in Africa in particular
- Able to do background research on international development, global health and international climate finance
- Experience supporting policy advocacy and citizen engagement particularly in Canada or in a similar parliamentary democracy Interest in being part of a fast-paced, young team that is working to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze public policy proposals.
- Excellent team player with experience in coalition building, and superior interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing and in oral presentations to a range of audiences.
- Ability to use data in shaping policy messages.
- Proficiency at multi-tasking, working well under pressure and prioritizing a number of ongoing projects.
- Self-starter who can effectively take initiative, work independently, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Takes action and is results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages is preferred such as French and Somali.
This internship pays C$20.00 per hour.
Possible travel within Ottawa area.
Remote work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. This position will require the candidate to work remotely and participate in work and learning activities virtually. The intern is required to have remote access to the internet during the scheduled hours of the internship.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.