ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Executive Director, North America (ED) is a member of ONE’s senior leadership team (SLT) and is responsible for the overall leadership, strategic direction, and effectiveness of ONE’s North America Advocacy team and its mission-driven activities in the US and Canada.
The role collaborates with colleagues globally to set the agenda and campaigning work and demonstrates strategic and effective leadership across the organization. The ED is an essential member of the ONE team, a group of talented professionals dedicated to the common goals of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. They champion this cause through the development of innovative and critical initiatives to achieve ONE’s mission.
Reporting to the President and working closely with ONE’s Chief Executive Officer, this role is crucial in maintaining our engagement and dialogue with key stakeholders in the US and Canada. The ED engages high-level governmental leaders, policy makers, civil society organizations, citizens, the private sector, and media. The ED drives the implementation of key strategies and priorities in the US and Canada, while participating in our work with G7/20 Governments ensuring commitments to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The successful candidate is a confident, servant leader who has successfully worked at the executive level to implement strategic and creative initiatives across a global organization.
This role will be based in our Washington, DC office.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
The main responsibilities of the Executive Director fall into three key categories: Strategy, Management and Leadership, and Stakeholder/External Engagement.
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of ONE’s North America strategy with governments, institutions, and civil society to secure high-impact partnerships and outcomes
- Collaborate with global market directors, global policy, and other global leadership to establish a portfolio of relevant policy research and positions to support NA Advocacy objectives
- Participate in the planning and implementation of the organization's strategic goals and be accountable for the setting and achievement of NA Advocacy goals
- Partner with colleagues across ONE to build ONE’s supporter base and create innovative and impactful campaigns.
Management and Leadership
- Lead, engage, and empower a team of staff and consultants, including line management of senior staff
- Serve as an inspiring leader and help create a learning environment for the team and organization
- Ensure that team members have clear roles and responsibilities, and management systems are accountable and transparent
- Manage the performance and development of the NA Advocacy team including effective performance management, mentoring, recruitment, and retention to ensure optimal functioning and engagement
- Contribute to and support an employee culture that is engaging, professional, and rewarding, resulting in the retention and growth of top talent
- Ensure the effective development and management of the annual budgets for NA Advocacy team in collaboration with the Global Operations team
- Maintain and support high level, positive and productive relationships with government officials, academics, the media, NGOs, and other relevant sectors across North America
- Cultivate activists and other influencers on pertinent issues from a range of communities and industries
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and others to generate and sustain financial support for ONE.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- 15+ years’ relevant experience, substantial experience within the non-profit sector and/or government sector in US is desirable
- At least 10 years’ experience of leading successful teams, and coaching and mentoring senior staff
- A proven leader of leaders and motivator of managers and staff, with a demonstrable commitment to the best business practices and a clear track record of working within and developing strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents
- An outstanding thought-leader and doer, with deep experience in engaging and influencing senior collaborators across the public and civil society sectors.
- Operational and fiscal management, in particular supervising the development and evaluation of high level strategic plans and accounting for large budgets across multiple sites
- Significant experience of risk, crisis and reputation management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to confidently debate our issues across multiple platforms and to a diverse set of stakeholders and critics
- A demonstrable understanding of our policy areas and the relationship between campaigns, media, advocacy and policy
- A clear and demonstrable appreciation of ONE’s non-partisan approach
- Strong diplomatic skills with a successful history of working with policy makers at the senior government level in the US
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with US and Canada politics and institutions with a strong understanding of how the strategies and objectives of the ONE Campaign can deliver effective change
- A record of shaping effective strategies and delivering results
- Fluent written and spoken English is required. Fluency in other languages such as French is desirable.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Takes action and is results focused
- Flexible and inventive approach
- Independent problem solver
Travel up to 25% domestic and international.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.