ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Director of Finance and Accounting is responsible for the management and direction of daily general accounting activities required to maintain ONE’s general ledger. This role will oversee all accounting and payroll functions of ONE, and its multiple affiliate foreign entities. They will provide coordination of all global accounting functions, including annual audits and tax returns, and establishment of strong internal controls to safeguard organization assets. They will uphold the compliance of the organization’s accounting policies and procedures, and that they are consistently applied across offices and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Director will establish and maintain a well-run accounting function that includes direct management of a small global team of staff. They will work closely with the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis to close the books timely and coordinate reporting for month- and year-end as well as reporting to the Board, executive leadership, management, grants, and global annual audits.
This is a full-time, exempt position that will report directly to the CFO and will be based in our Washington, DC office.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Oversee all accounting functions supported by a small team including payroll, accounts payable, expense and reimbursement processing, prepayments, accruals, depreciation and fixed assets, revenue, and accounts receivable, journal entries, etc. to ensure accurate and timely recording each month.
- Line manage a team of 3-4 finance and accounting staff with a focus on coaching, engaging, and motivating staff.
- Maintain integrity of the general ledger and ensure accuracy of all recorded accounting data.
- Facilitate and oversee decentralized organizational accounting functions through collaboration with remote offices.
- Develop and lead the month-end close process. Review month- and year-end accounting data including bank and general ledger account reconciliations, global office reconciliations and data, and other adjusting journal entries for accuracy and for a timely close to enable producing financial reporting.
- Oversee monitoring of cash position and provide data to ensure adequate cash flow to meet organizational needs.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Oversee management of credit cards globally.
- Ensure proper coding of expenses across dimensions to enable accurate reporting against grants, projects and programs.
- Serve as a key technical resource on accounting requirements and implementation of new accounting standards and updates across entities.
- processing and serve as payroll backup to the Payroll Manager.
- Support the periodic and year-end intercompany allocations among entities.
- Assist with developing budgets for, and monitoring of, grant compliance.
- Lead the production and annual updating of the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
- In partnership with Finance team, develop a culture of fiscally minded staff at ONE through in-house training and strong internal communication to ensure appropriate financial stewardship.
- Ensure a sound and consistent internal control environment across all offices and maintain collaborative partnerships among local finance and operations staff globally.
- Find and take advantage of opportunities for process improvement, recommend enhancements, simplification, and accounting system optimization for efficient, consistently applied, organization-wide global accounting policies and procedures without compromising internal controls.
- Fully utilize ERP system, Intacct, for a paperless accounting environment and automate preparation for annual independent financial statement audits and tax returns of ONE and affiliated entities.
- Ensure ONE's compliance with US GAAP and nonprofit IRS rules for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Assist CFO and work with auditors to complete field work, to fulfill all PBC requests, etc.
- Respond to, remediate, and implement recommendations from audit management letters.
- Prepare annual IRS forms 990, form 990-T, and other required U.S. and non-U.S. filings timely in cooperation with Audit Firm.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s in Accounting, Business, or Finance preferred; 10+ years’ relevant financial and accounting experience plus 3 to 5+ years’ in a management or lead capacity required. Experience in a non-profit setting for a global organization with offices outside the US highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations.
- CPA preferred. Experience and knowledge of Sage Intaact preferred.
- Experience in effective organization-wide change management within the scope of financial/accounting systems and practices.
- Experience as an effective manager and team builder with ability to develop, coach, and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated track record of successful experience in efficient, accurate, and timely month- and year-end closing and production of financial statements.
- Detail-oriented with ability to complete multiple tasks accurately within critical deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and decision-making skills; ability to delegate and prioritize department workload.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strict confidentiality and a proven ability to exercise good judgment are essential.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages such as French and/or German is a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid workplace environment. Team schedules and organization needs may dictate the days you need to work in the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.