ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Canada Director will lead on advocacy, media and campaigning strategies and priorities in Canada with the support of an established Canada-based team; build relationships with politicians, government agencies, civil society organizations, the private sector and key individuals; and will develop mission-related and context-specific strategies and partnerships that will advance international development issues in Canada. The Director will be a member of ONE’s North America Advocacy leadership team and will contribute to organization leadership globally and collaborate with colleagues across ONE.
The successful candidate will have a strong government relations background with a demonstrated track record of success working with the Canadian government to achieve strategic policy goals. Those who have previously lived/worked in Africa and have a passion for the causes ONE supports are highly preferred.
The role is based in Ottawa reporting directly to the North America Executive Director.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Develop and implement a long-term strategy aimed at strengthening ONE’s political relationships and public support in Canada
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with, and represent ONE to, Canadian elected and appointed decision makers, senior government officials, and other policy influencers.
- Develop strategy to increase the network of key contacts in the NGO, corporate, academic, and media sectors who are supportive of ONE’s organizational objectives
- Work closely with global communications, campaigns and creative staff across the organization to best apply ONE’s campaign assets, optimize media coverage, develop ONE’s brand, and increase the quality and quantity of ONE’s membership and grassroots advocacy actions in key Canadian markets.
- Work closely with the North America Advocacy team to develop an effective communications and media strategy for ONE in Canada and aligned with organizational messaging.
- Lead, engage, and empower a Canada-based remote team of staff and consultants. Serve as an inspiring leader and coach manage performance, and help create a learning environment for the team ensuring team members have clear roles and responsibilities, and the resources to fulfill their objectives.
- Fiscally responsible for development and management of the Canada budget, ensuring the budget is in line with the strategic plan and used in line with established processes and policies.
- Responsible for resource allocation, including spending and hiring of staff in line with established processes and policies.
- Other duties as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a senior level position within international development, civil society, media, public relations, global health, or government, plus 5+ years’ in a team management or lead capacity.
- Related work history and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports including poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, and legislation.
- Demonstrable commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning, citizen engagement, and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective education.
- Excellent understanding of the Canadian political and parliamentary processes, with a broad spectrum of developed political
- Experience of communicating public policy issues and complex legislative processes for a range of stakeholders, including public sector actors and members of the public.
- Proven track record of leading, mentoring, and empowering a team to design, facilitate, and deliver short and long-term strategies. Knowledge of and experience mainstreaming diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) priorities in strategies highly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively, diplomatically, and sensitively with a wide range of partners; highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organizations and engaging stakeholders at all levels to achieve optimal outcomes. Experience working with volunteers to affect policy change is desirable.
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable high-level PR and marketing skills and instincts.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills and strong quantitative skills
- Creative problem-solving and an ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment, enabling ONE to achieve its goals in Canada.
- Ability to be based in Ottawa with flexibility to travel domestically when required, with occasional travel to the United States for wider North America team planning, and other such meetings.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to apply tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work proactively and independently, consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes action and is results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Fluency in French is highly preferred.
Ability to travel required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Remote work environment with expectation to be based locally in Ottawa. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the core responsibilities of the job.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.