ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
ONE is expanding its work in Sweden and Norway, initially for one year. If successful, the work may be expanded to other Nordic countries at the end of the first year.
We are looking for an experienced professional to join our team as an Advocacy & Campaigns Senior Manager. The Senior Manager will lead our programme in Sweden, Norway, and, possibly, other Nordic countries and will help design and implement campaigns incorporating advocacy, activism, and communications. They will work closely with government officials, NGOs, and other decision-makers and opinion formers.
The successful candidate will possess demonstrable knowledge and understanding of global development policy issues, Africa-specific development policy as well as Nordic countries’ role in the development and the political landscape in the region. They are a self-starter with excellent communication skills, and analytical ability, and be highly collaborative colleagues. The role is based in Stockholm or Oslo and will report to the Executive Director, Europe.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Collaborate with the Europe Executive Director, to design and implement ONE’s advocacy and campaigning strategy in Sweden, Norway, and, possibly, other Scandinavian countries.
- Develop and maintain relationships, including with government officials, politicians, NGOs, and think tanks.
- Prepare documents on specific development issues for a range of internal and external audiences including policy pitches, talking points, briefings for ONE staff, volunteers and/or Principals, reports, and articles for ONE’s website.
- Monitor and keep the team and wider organisation informed of news on development policies in Sweden, Norway, and other Nordic countries.
- Lead on the development and management of ONE’s supporter engagement strategy in Sweden and Norway.
- Lead on developing impactful, creative short-term campaigns which promote ONE’s messages, including on social media, to a diverse audience and contribute to policy change in this new market
- Provide the market-specific perspectives to policy discussions and ensure policy positions are compatible with target audiences in Sweden, Norway, and possibly other Nordic countries.
- Perform general research and policy analysis on ONE's policy work relating to a broad range of development issues, including, but not limited to, Nordic countries’ relations and policies towards Africa, ODA, global health, food security, and education.
- Work internally across organisational teams to identify and leverage opportunities for policy change on these issues.
- Prepare ONE’s positions on key areas of Swedish, Norwegian, and possibly other Nordic countries’ development policy and contribute to the development of new/emerging policy areas.
- Represent ONE at meetings and conferences on relevant policy topics, as needed.
- Manage direct reports, possibly remotely, providing guidance and support to ensure ONE’s public campaigning and advocacy work is aligned and effective.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or the designee.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, law, or a development-related field preferred
- Eight or more years of relevant work experience. At least 5 years of experience in a policy, advocacy, government, or campaign role and at least including 3+ years in a management or lead capacity.
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning, and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy.
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience in presenting to senior staff and external audiences
- Ability to synthesize policy documents, identifying relevant key points and facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audiences in a concise way.
- Experience in public mobilisation and digital campaigning
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads. Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- A dedication to ONE’s mission and policy priorities.
- Authorized to work in Sweden and/or Norway
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrixed organization
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high-pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes initiative and is results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Swedish and/or Norwegian required.
Travel up to 15% domestic and international.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Remote workplace environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.