We all love turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and casseroles. But the year-after-year routine can get a little stale. Incorporate new flavors into your feast with these amazing African recipes:
1. Dodo (Buzzfeed): This is a very simple recipe but it tastes amazing! These are deep fried plantains that you cut into circles, cubes, or diagonal slices and deep-fry. Some people like to sprinkle some salt on them before frying them up, but that is up to you! This can be a side dish or a main meal – all you need to do is just peel, chop, and fry!
2. Koki Corn – African fresh corn tamales (African Bites): There are many ways to make this excellent dish, but this recipe keeps it short and simple. Only four ingredients are required: fresh corn, corn meal, spinach, and palm oil. This dish is cooked in West Africa during the rainy season because there is usually an abundance of fresh corn. You can even add your choice of protein to these if you want!
3. East African Pilau Rice (African Bites): Pilau rice is an intensely flavored rice and is often cooked for celebration meals—making it the perfect dish to add to your Thanksgiving table. It is cooked throughout East African countries or countries along the Swahili region. The list of ingredients is long, but the preparation time is not. The recipe linked above is meant for 4-5 people.
4. Bunny Chow (Cooking Channel): It is not very clear where this dish got its name, but it is one of South Africa’s most beloved foods. It consists of a hollowed-out half- or quarter-loaf of bread filled with hot curry.
5. Briouats (About Food): This is a Moroccan dish that has become a worldwide favorite. They are small pastries that can be stuffed with a variety of fillings. This recipe is an extremely tasty version and includes a cream-cheese filling!