VIDEO: He shouldn’t have died

VIDEO: He shouldn’t have died

Join

Join the fight against Extreme Poverty

By Prakrit Nepal, ONE Campus Leader and student at Colby-Sawyer College.

Prakrit Nepal in his dorm.

Prakrit Nepal in his dorm.

When I was in 11th grade, I had a friend at school in Nepal named Sameer. He was up all night studying for a test, but his house had no power. So he used a kerosene lamp to read.

The next day, Sameer died of suffocation after breathing in those kerosene fumes. Learn more about his story here: 

I’m speaking out to make sure that no more students – no more brothers, sisters, friends – die because they don’t have electricity.

Join me for the Power Project – ONE’s new campaign to get 50,000 messages sent to the Senate – and help Africa bring electricity to 50 million people for the first time.

Sign up for the Power Project here

When I found out that ONE was going to work on energy poverty, I was really excited. You can’t make a bigger change in someone’s life.

But I wasn’t sure if I could really make a difference.

In February, I went to my congresswoman’s office on Capitol Hill and shared my story. I talked about Sameer. I asked her to support the Electrify Africa Act (the House version of this bill).

She not only agreed to support the bill. She signed on as a co-sponsor.

I was really surprised. And I was pumped. One person can make a difference. Your voice has power.

Help be a part of bringing 50 million people power. Sign up and speak out now.

Take action against energy poverty now

 

×

Join the fight against Extreme Poverty

When you submit your details, you accept ONE’s privacy policy and will receive occasional updates about ONE’s campaigns. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Join the Conversation

Comment Guidelines