ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Director of Development (SDD) is a deputy for the Chief Development Officer (CDO), working closely with the CDO to create and implement strategies that maximize donor engagement and revenue in support of ONE and its mission and goals, prioritizing unrestricted income. This role requires excellent leadership and management skills, including the ability to motivate a team for success as ONE navigates a challenging external fundraising environment. The SDD manages and develops an active portfolio of Board, Global Leadership Circle, and foundation stakeholders, leveraging these relationships and partnership opportunities to evidence best-in-class approaches to donor collaboration through innovative engagement and high-yield financial contributions.
Additionally, the SDD manages a team of fundraisers responsible for High-Net-Worth Individuals, corporate, and foundation resource mobilization, overseeing and guiding their portfolio strategies, ensuring that they contribute towards ambitious financial goals and other defined objectives. This is a full-time opportunity based in our Washington D.C. office reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer. ONE has a flexible workplace, which allows for a hybrid work environment of both in-person and remote work.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to establish annual and long-range funding goals and benchmarks for resource mobilization from global individuals, corporations and foundations, translating these into an executable, multi-market strategy enabling optimal success for the team.
- Establish funding goals and benchmarks for a managed portfolio of individuals and foundations overseen by the SDD, maximizing unrestricted revenue from the portfolio while modeling best-practice, innovative approaches to pipeline development and funder management.
- Provide dynamic and effective practical support and thought leadership for the Development team and its three Associate Directors, by motivating and challenging them through active mentorship, fostering an environment that supports new ideas and innovative approaches to individual, corporate and foundation funder relationships.
- Monitor and report on all key performance metrics (including financials), providing updates and insights to key internal stakeholders, including the CEO, CDO, CFO, COO and others as identified/requested, and where necessary course correct work to ensure compliance with stated or evolving targets and goals.
- Support the involvement of the CDO and other ONE staff (including the CEO), in high-level, high-touch individual and foundation solicitations and relationship management with briefing materials, agendas, background research and appropriate follow-up.
- Facilitate the involvement of ONE’s Board and Global Leadership Circle (GLC) members in relationship-building and management activities as required and a
- Lead on the provision of assistance and informed professional insight for colleagues from across ONE on matters relating to individual and foundation funder opportunities and relationships, ensuring efficient alignment of donor opportunities and interests with ONE’s overarching financial and other resource needs.
- Synthesize ONE’s campaigns, programs and projects into clear, compelling proposals and reports for individuals and foundations that serve to communicate ONE’s effectiveness as a global advocacy organization, while conclusively making the case for unrestricted/core support
- Oversee maintenance of compliant CRM records for the SDD’s managed portfolio as well as the broader team’s portfolios, and work with the CDO to develop and maintain other relevant knowledge management processes that contribute to comprehensive tracking of and reporting on ONE’s individual, corporate and foundation stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree and 10-15 years of multi-channel development/fundraising experience.
- Master’s degree in philanthropic studies or non-profit management preferred.
- Experience of leading complex funder relationship development and management strategies in a global context: experience of philanthropy, foundation and/or corporate relations in North America essential; experience of donor engagement, solicitation and management in other important funder markets relevant to ONE would be useful (UK, Europe, sub-Saharan Africa).
- A proven track record of closing 6- and 7-figure gifts from at least two of the following fundraising channels: individuals, foundations, corporations.
- Aptitude to show persistence and determination when faced with challenging situations and ability adopt new ways of working as these are developed across the organization.
- Experience of working to, and meeting, ambitious team and personal revenue goals and performance indicators, as well as participating in financial projections, reporting, and scenario planning
- 5+ years’ experience in team management with exceptional ability in strategic planning, project management and team coaching/mentoring.
- Proven ability to define and implement critical near-term and long-term revenue generation strategies concurrently.
- Strong, persuasive and compelling interpersonal skills with superior written and oral communication and presentation abilities, to include experience speaking to and writing for sophisticated individual philanthropists and foundation executives.
- Ability to lead on translating broad organizational vision and strategies into specific objectives and operational delivery plans, while being able to respond quickly to changes in short-term priorities.
- Understanding of the necessary support processes required to deliver effective funder relationships.
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to devise creative solutions to complex problems and issues.
- CRM experience – Salesforce/RE preferred
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data with the facility to design and implement budget models.
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with MS PowerPoint, Excel and other presentation and analytical platforms.
- Knowledge and interest in emerging concepts and practices in the field of strategic philanthropy, foundation relations and/or corporate social responsibility and shared value.
Fluency in English required. French is particularly useful, German helpful.
Ability to travel as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume to this opening at ONE jobs.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.