ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for a Media Manager to lead the development and implementation of the organization’s UK media engagement strategy encompassing high profile media campaigns in the UK. Reporting to the UK Director, the Media Manager will work closely with the key communications staff in other teams in North America, Europe and Africa and will be supported by other media staff across the organisation as required.
The ideal candidate will be a great team player with experience of supervising projects, the capacity to be an advisor, a demonstrated interest in development issues and African current affairs, the ability to communicate complex issues concisely, and who can help us increase the media’s coverage of international development and Africa, influencing policy change through the media. High-level experience of political journalism and contacts among political lobby correspondents would be an advantage.
The position is a fixed term position for 9 to 12 months, based in London with hybrid options available.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead on the development and implementation of ONE’s UK media strategy, devising and implementing proactive and reactive media strategies as required
- Identify and target key media outlets, developing relationships with journalists
- Pitch highly impactful and high-level stories to print, broadcast and online media
- Draft and sell in press releases, edit articles for publication, contribute to web content
- Manage requests for media interviews and create media interview opportunities, and prepare spokespeople for interviews
- Analyze media coverage of development issues identifying trends and opportunities for ONE
- As a key member of the global communications team, contribute to the development of ONE’s media positions across Europe and globally, ensuring UK insights and requirements are considered appropriately.
- Produce ONE information materials, cover letters and concept notes.
- Coordinate external consultants, agencies and service providers for several parallel ongoing projects and oversee their performance
- Develop ideas for media friendly campaign stunts and press pictures and support the coordination of its implementation
- Represent ONE at external events, in civil society/partner working groups, and drive forward key joint media products such as open letters, op eds and stunts
- Manage a Media Assistant and oversee their work
- Collaborate with campaigns and digital leads in the design and implementation of consistent communications and campaigns strategies.
- Stay abreast of changes and trends on the development sector, Africa and communication practices.
- Train and guide Youth Ambassadors on media related activities.
- Any other duties as required
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 6 years work experience in journalism or media relations/PR
- Well-organized and able to deal confidently with media inquiries
- A thorough understanding of the media market and requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and web
- Experience of working with high profile individuals
- Personal media contacts in the UK
- Proven track record in delivering effective media strategies
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills including the ability to synthesize complicated policy issues into digestible products and to deal with both elite and popular media and specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Exercises good judgment in managing risks
- Experience of supervising the work of others; ability to advise on critical issues; leadership and autonomy.
- Experience of using social media for campaigning would be an advantage
- Some knowledge of, and strong interest in, Africa and development issues
- A commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work
- Fluent English essential
- Ability to work in the UK
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.