ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a Policy and Advocacy Manager to lead the political and advocacy work of ONE Germany. The ideal candidate should have experience in developing advocacy strategies, have strong networking skills, and be able to expand existing contacts with relevant stakeholders in government, parliament and civil society, etc. They will coordinate ONE's policy monitoring, identify key policy audiences and build effective relationships with them to advance ONE's goals, including financing for development, global health, gender equality quality, and economic development in African countries.
The Policy and Advocacy Manager will also follow and analyse the relevant political and technical discussions at European level in relation to Germany and in consultation with colleagues from the Brussels ONE office. They will work closely with their international political colleagues and the directors.
The ideal candidate is a great colleague and self-starter with excellent project management and communication skills, who can handle varied tasks and has experience in development policy and advocacy. Proven knowledge of Africa and German and European development debates are crucial.
It is a full-time position reporting to the German Director. The position is based in Berlin, and ONE's guidelines for remote working apply.
IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies for national, European, and international campaigns for Germany
- Lead the development of political positions and messaging of ONE Germany
- Establish or develop relationships with relevant stakeholders in government, parliament, civil society, and other partners
- Identify development policy trends and issues in Germany in close cooperation with colleagues and, if necessary, develop strategies, projects, and interventions on these topics
- Write briefings for ONE executives
- Provide political advice on the work of media and campaign teams
- Ensure ONE's access to relevant high-level meetings, represent ONE at these meetings as needed, and/or ensure that other representatives of ONE are kept fully informed
- Lead the development and adaptation of ONE's policy products for Germany
- Lead the policy and advocacy team of ONE Germany, which currently comprises three people
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE GERMANY
- Bachelor's degree in a development-related field. Master’s degree or commensurate work experience preferred.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in an NGO, think tank, government agency or similar institution in the field of development policy and advocacy.
- Knowledge of development policy issues, particularly German development policy and its institutions.
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and program implementation, as evidenced by relevant professional experience.
- Ability to summarize complex political issues and search for important facts and statistics that help explain complicated policy issues to a wide audience.
- Strong networking skills are essential for this role to interact with high-level individuals internally and externally.
- Ability to work in a global, diverse team across time zones.
- Ability to manage multiple changing priorities while meeting tight deadlines in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
Fluency in German and English is required.
The exercise of this position includes business trips at home and abroad.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable diseases, please apply by February 10, 2023 with your CV and cover letter in German.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.