ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Executive Director partners with the senior leadership team to set the agenda and overall strategic initiatives for ONE’s advocacy work in the Africa market. The ED is integral to leading the organization in its shift to becoming more Africa-centric in both its voice and development initiatives. The ED is an essential member of the ONE team, a group of talented professionals dedicated to the common goals of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. They champion this cause through the development of innovative and strategic initiatives to achieve ONE’s mission.
Reporting to the President and as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, this role is crucial in maintaining our engagement and dialogue with key stakeholders in Sub-Saharan Africa. The ED will regularly engage high-level governmental leaders, policymakers, civil society organizations, citizens, the private sector and media. The ED will drive the implementation of the “Building out ONE in Africa” strategy while participating in our work with G7/20 Governments, ensuring commitments to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and collaborating with the African Union on agenda 2063 priorities. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of working at the executive level to implement strategic and creative initiatives across a global organization.
Location: Abuja, Dakar or Johannesburg, with frequent international travel.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
The main responsibilities of the Executive Director fall into four key categories: Strategy and Leadership, Building Out ONE in Africa, Stakeholder Engagement and Communications and Management and Leadership.
Strategy and Leadership
- Lead ONE’s advocacy work with Sub-Saharan Africa governments, Pan-African institutions and civil society by securing key partnerships and representing ONE in high-level dialogue with leaders on substantive policy issues
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team on the planning and implementation of strategic goals across the organization, particularly through the Africa lens
- Provide internal leadership to ONE on Africa-based or relevant issues driving thought leadership for ONE’s management team and staff, and in general, help create a learning environment for the team
Building Out ONE (BOA) In Africa
- Lead the Africa Team to contribute to ONE’s strategic shift to a more authentic African voice by inspiring and guiding the ONE team to implement and live out the BOA strategic priorities
- Provide guidance on the range of issues outlined in the BOA strategy, including job creation, climate resilience, health and education, and governance and accountability.
- Build ONE’s capacity in Africa to influence policy with select governments and pan-African institutions, including:
- Growing the number of African voices on global platforms
- Growing the number of campaigns/mechanisms that engage citizens
- Growing the number of African countries committing/delivering to fulfill commitments (OGP, Malabo, Abuja)
Stakeholder Engagement & Communications
- Oversee efforts to develop and sustain positive and productive relationships with key government officials, Africa policy research and think tanks, academics, the media, NGOs, the private sector, and other relevant communities across our key markets
- Foster and develop champions and other influencers on pertinent issues from a range of communities and industries
- Build and maintain executive-level, strategic working relationships with the leadership of African institutions including the African Union and the African Development Bank, African governments, private sector organisations, the media, and civil society groups
- Engage African leadership, in both the public and private sector, in effective dialogue to ensure their input into the development of ONE’s policy, campaigning, and advocacy areas
- Secure access for ONE to high-level strategic meetings, conferences, and events throughout Africa
- Attend and represent ONE at AU Heads of State meetings and other high-level engagements
Management and Leadership
- Lead, engage, and motivate a team of staff and consultants across Africa, including line management of senior expert staff
- Contribute as a thought leader and help create a learning environment for the team and organization
- Ensure that team members have clear roles and responsibilities, and management systems are accountable and transparent
- Manage the performance and development of the Africa team including effective performance management, mentoring, recruitment, and retention to ensure optimal functioning and engagement
- Contribute to and support an employee culture in Africa that is engaging, professional, and rewarding, resulting in the retention and growth of top talent
- Oversee the effective development and management of the annual budgets for the Africa team in collaboration with the Global Operations team
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- 15+ years’ relevant experience, substantial experience within the non-profit sector and/or government sector in Africa is desirable
- At least 10 years experience of managing high-performing teams, and coaching and mentoring senior staff
- A proven leader and motivator of senior managers and staff, with a demonstrable commitment to best business practices and a clear track record of working within and developing strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents
- An outstanding thought leader and influencer, with deep experience in engaging and influencing senior stakeholders across the public and civil society sectors.
- Significant experience of operational and fiscal management, in particular overseeing the development and evaluation of high-level strategic plans and accounting for large budgets across multiple sites
- Significant experience of risk, crisis and reputation management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to confidently debate our issues across multiple platforms and to a diverse set of stakeholders and critics
- A demonstrable understanding of ONE’s policy areas and the relationship between campaigns, media, advocacy and policy
- A clear and demonstrable appreciation of ONE’s non-partisan approach
- Strong diplomatic skills with a successful history of working with policymakers at the senior government level in Africa
- Extensive knowledge of African geo-politics, experience in Pan-African institutions and a strong understanding of how the strategies and objectives of the ONE Campaign can deliver effective change
- A record of shaping effective strategies and delivering results
- Fluent written and spoken English is essential, Fluency in French is desirable
- Understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global and matrixed organisation
- Independent professional approach, able to lead others in contributing to the overall goal of the organisation
- Decisive, with a resourceful approach and results focus
- Critical thinking and strategic mind-set
- Significant emotional intelligence in high-pressure and stressful situations
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity and respectful of all
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.