ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Associate Director is responsible for leading the ONE US organizing staff that support ONE’s national grassroots volunteer network who are working to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030. Key goals for the team are to build the local volunteer leadership capacity and increase catalytic advocacy actions to move our policy priorities with targeted decision makers. The ideal candidate has a proven record of accomplishment in leading staff and volunteer teams in a grassroots organizing setting, and driving results.
This is full time, exempt position based in Washington, DC and reporting to the Director, Membership Mobilization.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
Be responsible for managing and driving initiatives and results in ONE’s US-based supporter and activist mobilization and field operations. You will be part of the North America Advocacy Team and supervise a team of Regional Organizers and Regional Organizing Managers who are based remotely across the US and make up ONE’s Membership Mobilization team. You will be relied upon to provide broad and overall leadership for this team in partnership with the Director and Senior Director.
Responsibilities of this role fall into four primary categories:
Organizing Growth & Advocacy Outcomes (60%)
- Direct and manage assigned organizing staff to set, measure, and achieve goals around (1) volunteer leadership recruitment and development, and (2) catalytic advocacy actions, in targeted congressional districts and states.
- Oversee implementation of ONE’s US priority campaigns within US activist program.
- Hold weekly and ad-hoc check-ins, and lead team calls to help guide work, work through strategies and best practices, and proactively mitigate and resolve challenges of organizers.
- Develop and implement systems to improve tracking and measuring of key organizing and advocacy metrics in each region, ultimately leading to growth of ONE’s US activist program and advocacy outcomes.
- Support the further build out of existing “super regions,” empowering designated staff organizers with neighboring regions to collaborate and support each other’s organizing efforts.
- Ensure travel and resource expenditures for organizing activities and events adhere to the team’s allocated budget, to ONE’s established policies and procedures, and that fiscal stewardship is adhered to in decision-making.
Campaign Development & Resourcing (15%)
- Participate in collaborative process of grassroots campaign design and material creation, including garnering input from staff organizers and activists, and being a representative across the organization for various projects and standing meetings.
- Proactively identify ONE activist training and material resource needs, working with DC-based Membership Mobilization colleagues to develop resources as needed.
- Serve as liaison between remote staff organizers and DC-based team to help shape national ONE voice and presence that volunteer leaders interact with, including:
- Steering of communication dispatches like the weekly “ONE on ONE” newsletter
- Monthly volunteer leader calls
- Key announcements and fostering community on social channels
Program Growth and Promotion (10%)
- Cultivate partner and coalition relationships and facilitate on the ground connections to help organizing staff meet their program goals.
- Work with internal stakeholders on growth opportunities to engage new high-quality members, and strategy for promotion of ONE and our engagement model as part of our brand.
- Work with Director to update activist/leader program and structure as
Event and project management (15%)
- Play leadership role in planning for ONE’s marquee national advocacy & leader development conference called the ONE Power Manage organizing staff to ensure robust, strategically representative activist participation and oversee organizer involvement as needed.
- Navigate complex activist personnel issues and ensuring activist program is an inclusive and safe space for all through established guidelines and processes.
- Management of special projects and events that impact the
- Additional duties as
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Eight or more years’ professional experience in issues advocacy campaigning, and volunteer recruitment and organizing, including three or more years’ in a management or lead capacity.
- Demonstrated expertise in setting goals, tracking metrics, and driving results.
- Highly relational, strong communication and relationship-building skills, and experience with leadership development.
- Strong financial management
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management; expertise in managing a team; and demonstrated commitment to DEI.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and the ability to create, edit and manage spreadsheets for tracking metrics.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports is preferred.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required.
Travel up to 35% domestic and infrequent international travel.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid workplace environment with option to work @office, @flex, or @home. Business needs and team schedules may dictate specific days per week you need to work in the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.