Roll Back Malaria has combed through the WHO World Malaria Report and the Global Malaria Action Plan to compile some of the top figures on malaria in an easy to use three-page document. Here is a sampling of the information they have gathered:
- Malaria is responsible for nearly one million deaths, mostly children under 5 years
- 91% of malaria deaths occur in Africa
- 3.3 billion people, half of the world’s population, are at risk for malaria
- Malaria results in $12 billion per year in direct losses in Africa, 1.3% of GDP
- 40% of public health spending in sub-Saharan Africa is directed to malaria
- Malaria accounts for over 10% of average household yearly spending in Africa
We know more now than ever before, and the data contained in this document is just what malaria advocates need to make the case for increased efforts and resources in the global fight against malaria.