It’s no secret that we’ve been impressed by Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his attitude toward global health and development, as well as gender equality—two issues that we’re really passionate about, as seen in our Global Fund and Poverty is Sexist campaigns. There’s a lot of work left to be done, but here are just a few of the times that PM Trudeau has earned a thumbs-up from us:
1. When he announced that Canada will be hosting this year’s Global Fund Summit! Prime Minister Trudeau also announced Canada’s pledge to the Global Fund replenishment — $780 million CAD over three years — an increase of 20 percent over its 2014-2016 contributions! The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria has helped bend the curve of AIDS and saved more than 17 million lives since 2002. But further progress won’t happen unless world leaders urgently step up their support, like PM Trudeau has done today.
2. When he responded to a question about why he has a gender-equal Cabinet with “Because it’s 2015!” We at ONE believe that women everywhere should have the same opportunities as men, so it’s great to see such a prominent figure make his own government an example of progress.
3. When PM Trudeau and US President Obama were basically best friends for the week. He visited Washington in March for a state dinner, and President Obama is planning to address the Canadian Parliament this summer. It’s always inspiring to see countries working together! Plus, President Obama has been a key player in the global fight against AIDS/HIV—we’d love to see PM Trudeau take a similar track in the global development field.
4. When he declared himself to be a proud feminist. Why is that important to us? Not only because all human beings should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their gender, but because investing in women and girls is essential to ending extreme poverty!
5. When he went to the airport to personally welcome Syrian refugees and hand out warm coats. At ONE, we believe that where you live shouldn’t determine whether you live, so it’s great to see Canada providing a great example of warmth and hospitality to the world.
Yep—Canada’s back and we couldn’t be more impressed with its new Prime Minister. Merci, Canada, for stepping up and hosting the Global Fund replenishment in October!