It’s about time someone said it: poverty is sexist. No matter how you cut it – socially, economically, legally – girls and women in the poorest countries are being denied the chance to reach their full potential.
Here’s how we feel about some of the outrageous facts behind this statement.
1. When the same amount of girls are going to primary school in the UK, as those NOT going to primary school in Ethiopia.
2. When about 39,000 girls under the age of 18 become child brides every day.
3. When only just over 20% of poor rural girls in Africa complete primary education.
4. When only about 22% of parliamentarians are female.
5. When women are paid 10-30% less than men.
6. When females are only 10-20% of the world’s land-holders.
7. When 43 million women do not deliver their babies in a health facility.
8. When more than 1.3 billion women don’t have an account at a formal financial institution.
9. When poverty is just flat out sexist.
10. When closing the gender gap in agriculture could increase agricultural yields by 20-30%.
11. When deaths of women in childbirth could drop by 67%, if women had better access to care.
12. When every year that a girl spends in school can boost her future income by 10-20%.
13. When all of society could benefit from investing in women.