ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organization supported by millions of members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency and advocate for increased domestic investments in development so that these resources can be effectively deployed. With HQ in Washington, DC, we operate from North America, Europe and Africa.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work and activities. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about working to end extreme poverty and preventable disease and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and to contribute to our mission.
We are looking for a France Director to lead our advocacy, media and campaigning work in France. This role is crucial in maintaining our engagement and dialogue with individuals and organisations operating within government, Parliament, civil society, the private sector and the media. The Director will develop and deliver global and national campaigns, activate our half a million members across the country, and engage at high levels with politicians and senior officials, civil society and private sector leaders, as well as media organisations. The post-holder will be a member of ONE’s Europe Leadership Team and will contribute to organisational leadership globally.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the international development agenda, significant experience of lobbying the French government, and a demonstrable understanding of how creative campaigning, advocacy and media combine to deliver policy change. The candidate will also possess strong strategic thinking, analytical, planning and communication skills, and will have experience of managing people and budgets within a global organization. They will be a strong collaborator and team player with a deep commitment to ONE’s goals and priorities.
The role is based in our Paris office, with occasional travel to London and other ONE markets.
This role reports to the Europe Executive Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Lead the ONE France team in developing and implementing ONE’s advocacy and campaigning work in France, working closely with the Europe Executive Director, other Europe teams and colleagues across the organisation.
- Lead and support the France team so that all staff are empowered to achieve their objectives, develop in their roles and flourish as individuals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with, and represent ONE to, senior French government politicians and officials.
- Work closely with Europe Country Directors to deliver an effective French component to our Europe-wide lobbying and campaigning
- Work closely with communications, campaigns and marketing staff across the organisation to leverage ONE’s campaign assets, maximise media coverage, develop ONE’s brand, and increase the quality and quantity of ONE’s membership in France
- Work closely with the Global Strategic Communications Team and media staff to develop an effective communications strategy for ONE in France, acting as ONE’s spokesperson on key issues.
- Grow and diversify our network of contacts among NGOs, corporate sector, academics, artists & talent, influencers and the media who support ONE’s objectives
- Fiscally responsible for development and management of the budget, ensuring the budget is in line with the strategic plan, properly managed to prevent fraud and mishandling and in line with program and resource plans.
- Responsible for resource allocation, including spending and hiring of personnel
- Collaborate with and contribute to ELT, and the CEO’s Leadership Council in defining ONE’s goals and strategic objectives.
- Any other duties as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- At least ten years’ senior-level experience within international development, civil society, media or government, with substantial exposure to French political institutions
- Excellent understanding of French political processes, with significant senior-level contacts.
- Significant and demonstrable understanding of development issues affecting Africa. Good contacts in Africa and/or international development institutions is desirable.
- Proven leadership and management skills; experience of leading, supporting and empowering teams and individuals for maximum success.
- Ability to work effectively, diplomatically and sensitively with a wide range of partners; highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organisations and influencing stakeholders at all levels to achieve optimal outcomes
- Advanced leadership, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills and a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- A commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy.
- Experience of designing and implementing effective lobbying strategies which achieve policy change
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to apply good judgment consistently and make good and responsible decisions
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Patience, flexibility and a sense of humour
Fluency in spoken and written English and French are essential. Knowledge of other EU languages is an asset.
Occasional travel to London and other ONE markets.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a CV for this role at ONE jobs no later than 8 November 2019
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.