Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, is an organisation that improves access to vaccines for the world’s most vulnerable children. It was founded in 2000 to “save lives, reduce poverty and protect the world against the threat of epidemics.”
Gavi will be a crucial partner in distributing a COVID-19 vaccine when available, and making sure it is affordable and accessible to all.
In 2020, ONE launched a campaign to help Gavi achieve its third replenishment goal of at least US$7.4 billion in additional funding in order to ensure more people can have access to lifesaving vaccines.
WHAT WE DID
- ONE launched a global petition asking world leaders to fund Gavi’s work over the next five years, which received over 55,000 signatures.
- As the host of the Global Vaccine Summit, our UK Activists met with hundreds of MPs and delivered thousands of messages from their constituents to secure their support for life-saving vaccines.
- In the US, 160 Activists from 45 states and DC came together for the 2020 ONE Power Summit, where we had 214 meetings with senators, representatives, and their staff on Capitol Hill, and dropped off policy information to the rest of Congress, in support of Gavi.
- ONE created Vaccinator Quest — a game played by more than 16,000 people — to help raise awareness of the life-saving work of Gavi and the barriers people living in the poorest countries face in accessing vaccines.
- We commissioned five Nigerian artists to illustrate the people behind Gavi’s work. See the amazing portraits of Gavi’s workers and recipients.
- We hosted a Twitter chat between Aya Chebbi, AU Youth Envoy, and Dr. Seth Berkley, CEO of Gavi, where they discussed the importance of immunisation and the effect that COVID-19 may have on African countries. We also had 24 articles covering our objectives published in media outlets in 12 African countries.