ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
About the opportunity
As Communications & Media Manager to the CEO, Gayle Smith, you will be an entrepreneurial professional with significant experience of the US and global media environments and a good understanding of international development issues and foreign affairs. You will lead the development and execution of media activities to raise the profile of the CEO and engage audiences with our mission, working with ONE’s media staff around the world.
You will bring sound political judgment, a hunger for results, creativity and a great sense of humor. Experience of working with news journalists as well as features and consumer media is required, as is experience of running social media accounts. Experience of working with and providing communications support for high profile figures would be a distinct advantage.
You will be an excellent communicator and enthusiastic collaborator able to work effectively with colleagues across multiple time-zones. A communications all-rounder, you will understand how media, social media, events and speaking opportunities can be deployed strategically to enhance each other. Most of all, you will be excited about working with Gayle Smith and ONE to innovate and create great content and opportunities that inspire and engage our audiences.
This is a full-time opportunity based in ONE’s Washington DC office.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate with CEO and ONE team on overall strategy and approach for CEO external comms, and lead on execution
- Proactively manage the CEO’s Twitter account and any other social media accounts of the CEO
- Support the research and writing of materials e.g., OpEds, blogs, talking points and speeches
- Pitch the CEO to media and manage media requests
- Prepare briefing materials for interviews and events
- Facilitate conversations with media contacts
- Manage working relationship(s) with agency partners on CEO’s external media engagements
- Plan and coordinate impactful roundtable events and convenings
- Develop and manage CEO external communications projects
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Executive Office team and Communications colleagues
What you bring to ONE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least six (6) years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills across a range of formats.
- Demonstrated US and global media relations experience with news, features, and consumer outlets.
- Understanding of international development issues and foreign affairs.
- A proactive, creative and innovative approach to content and opportunities.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Experience of managing social media content and accounts, ideally for a high-profile figure.
- Experience of building relationships, developing ideas for projects, and executing successfully.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable interest in ONE’s mission.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages such as French and German, a plus.
Travel up to 10% international and/or domestic.
Hybrid workplace environment with option to work solely in the office or a mix of office and home. Team schedules may dictate specific days per week you need to work in the office.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.