ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is an integral member of the ONE/(RED) leadership team, a group of talented and passionate professionals dedicated to the common goals of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. They champion this cause through the development of innovative and strategic initiatives to achieve ONE’s mission. The CDO partners with the Board of Directors, CEO, Presidents of ONE and (RED) and other stakeholders and donors to create and oversee global fundraising strategies and tactics for areas including major gifts and strategic partnerships. They must have an entrepreneurial spirit, and be a critical, strategic thinker who is a collaborative leader and manager with a high emotional intelligence. The CDO will have a consistent record of closing gifts in six, seven and eight-figure range.
Reporting to the President and working closely with the senior leadership team, the Board and our Co-Founder, the CDO will lead the effort on fundraising strategy, enabling the organization to advance, expand, and implement global fundraising activities. The fundraising strategy will address overlap and gaps between ONE and (RED) activities and ensure a cohesive and successful approach to donors and partners. The CDO will orchestrate strategies for prospecting, cultivating and building pipelines, with a specific focus on building and expanding the major donor base. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate accustomed to high touch fundraising with demonstrated success working with high-profile principals and large donors.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
The main responsibilities of the Chief Development Officer fall into five key categories: Leadership and Management, Strategic Fundraising, Donor and Partner Relations, Stakeholder Engagement; and Grant Funding.
Leadership and Management
- Represent ONE/(RED) externally, presenting with commitment and passion the mission, values and objectives to the global donor community and other audiences.
- Provide vital input to the senior leadership team on strategic and operational planning and positioning and help implement ONE’s 5-Year Strategic Plan.
- Plan, execute, and engage in all Board and leadership events (Global Leadership Circle-GLC and others).
- Mentor and actively manage a dedicated and hardworking team of development professionals, including performance management, retention and hiring.
- Lead and develop annual fundraising plans that align with the organization’s budget.
- Actively manage relationships at all levels (donor, stakeholder, partners, board, and more) to ensure ongoing and continued engagement.
- Collaborate and partner with (RED) President in strategic and financial planning.
- Serve as a chief strategist for ONE fundraising to high value prospects; work closely with the senior leadership team to develop, establish and articulate integrated, long range and annual fundraising objectives.
- Ensure the coordination and synergy of (RED) fundraising efforts and strategic partnerships
- Facilitate the active participation and engagement of all Board members to bring to bear greater financial support from major donors, foundations and corporations.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and management of fundraising strategies to meet identified goals in all areas of fundraising.
- Evaluate the effect of internal and external forces on the organization and its fundraising and recommend short- and long-range global fund development programs that support ONE.
- Educate and increase awareness around fundraising by building relationships with senior management to facilitate a culture that supports fundraising.
Donor and Partner Relations
- Expand and diversify strategies that identify, educate, involve, cultivate and steward both existing and prospective donors.
- Conduct a comprehensive audit of major donors, partners and prospects to provide updated status and advice on future engagement.
- Lead the engagement and cultivation of donors and bring in partners and resources to achieve the ultimate goal of “closing the deal.”
- Develop and implement a stakeholder engagement plan to include benchmarks and metrics on communication touchpoints.
- Manage key relationships to maintain critical engagement.
- Cultivate, develop, and support productive relationships that align with (RED)’s mission and model.
- Lead a team of development professionals to actively manage grant funding, including renewals and reporting.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
The successful candidate will possess an entrepreneurial drive and passion for the mission of ONE. Beyond that, they will have developed the ability to function in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. They will bring a broad, global perspective and high degree of flexibility and adaptability to this new challenge. Specific qualifications include:
- 15+ years of professional fundraising experience, including demonstrated ability at the senior management level.
- At least 10 years’ experience of leading impactful teams, and coaching and mentoring senior staff
- Experience working in a multi-site international, not-for-profit organization. Previous experience fundraising for an advocacy group is a plus.
- Successful in fundraising from a wide variety of sources including corporations, foundations, individuals, family foundations, and events, and a track record of closing high figure gifts.
- Comprehensive management skills and experience are required, including but not limited to short- and long-term planning, evaluation, leading and motivating staff, financial management, organizational behavior and development, and governance.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the best fundraising and operational practices, employing clearly defined objectives and transparent methods with which to measure success.
- Prior success working closely with and building and maintaining relationships with staff, partners, donors and a Board of Directors.
- Experience in building prospect pipelines, rating, forecasting and quantifying performance through metrics and statistics.
- Experience in building organizational capacity, infrastructure and strategic planning.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global organization.
- Excellent communication and social skills with expert manners and an appreciation for the idiosyncrasies of a proper “Thank You” note
- Superb relationship building skills, with a demonstrated understanding of “deep” and “long-term” relationship building
- Strong storyteller who can relay the sometimes less tangible impact to donors and partners
- Ability to thrive in a team environment
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding a global organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and collaborative
- Ability to remain positive and constructively engaged in high pressure and stressful situations
- Strong critical and analytical thinking
- Able to handle difficult conversations with diplomacy and exercise confidentiality
- Flexible and resourceful in approach
- Dynamic and charismatic personality that is both confident and humble
Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages desirable.
This is a unique leadership role that requires attending events on evenings and weekends. Travel schedule will vary each year and is dependent upon tour dates, leadership meetings and partnerships, but is expected at a minimum of 25% and up to 50%.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
ONE offers competitive compensation and an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment or remote work environment, or combination of both. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
All US-based employees are required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to have open access to the office, to conduct or participate in external meetings and events, and to travel on behalf of ONE. Exceptions to this requirement will be made as required by law; or, for positions that can be performed fully remote; don’t require meeting attendance with external audiences; and don’t require travel on behalf of ONE. All new US-based employees are required to comply with the vaccination requirements outlined in this policy as a condition of employment.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs (http://www.one.org/jobs).
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email [email protected]). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.