VIDEO: He shouldn’t have died

By Prakrit Nepal, ONE Campus Leader and student at Colby-Sawyer College.

Prakrit Nepal in his dorm.

Prakrit Nepal in his dorm.

When I was in 11th grade, I had a friend at school in Nepal named Sameer. He was up all night studying for a test, but his house had no power. So he used a kerosene lamp to read.

The next day, Sameer died of suffocation after breathing in those kerosene fumes. Learn more about his story here: 

I’m speaking out to make sure that no more students – no more brothers, sisters, friends - die because they don’t have electricity.

Join me for the Power Project – ONE’s new campaign to get 50,000 messages sent to the Senate – and help Africa bring electricity to 50 million people for the first time.

Sign up for the Power Project here

When I found out that ONE was going to work on energy poverty, I was really excited. You can’t make a bigger change in someone’s life.

But I wasn’t sure if I could really make a difference.

In February, I went to my congresswoman’s office on Capitol Hill and shared my story. I talked about Sameer. I asked her to support the Electrify Africa Act (the House version of this bill).

She not only agreed to support the bill. She signed on as a co-sponsor.

I was really surprised. And I was pumped. One person can make a difference. Your voice has power.

Help be a part of bringing 50 million people power. Sign up and speak out now.

Take action against energy poverty now