This Mother’s Day, join Every Mother Counts and TAKE 2 minutes to TAKE 2 actions for maternal health.
“What matters most in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it.” -Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I remember the moment I was born a mother. It really was love at first sight. After 42 weeks and 15 hours, I was ready to meet my baby. We didn’t know she was a girl until she revealed herself. I was filled with so many emotions, the relief that it was finally over and the joy of holding her in my arms for the first time and looking into her soul. As exhausted as I was, I was filled with so much pride for what I accomplished with the love and support of my husband, doula and midwife. I have never felt as invincible as in that moment.
I am so grateful to have had such a clear mind in those first moments as a new mother because later those feelings were abruptly pulled away when I didn’t deliver my placenta and the OB was called in. It was all so surreal. One minute it was bliss, and the next, confusion and then the pain that made pushing a baby out feel like a hiccup in comparison. My memory of both experiences remains crystal clear. That’s what so many of us feel in those moments. When I look at my mom’s face in the photos from my sisters and my births, it’s there too.
Becoming a mom is a birth of our selves, our whole being forever changed. My wish is for every woman who chooses this path, that they have the opportunity to remember their moment too.
To celebrate Mother’s Day this year, Every Mother Counts is launching the EVERY 2 minutes campaign for the month of May.
While we celebrate the birth of mothers in our own lives, we remember that EVERY 2 minutes, a woman dies in pregnancy and childbirth. But it doesn’t have to be that way as 90 percent of those deaths are preventable. That’s why we are calling on all moms (and those who love moms) to take just 2 minutes out of their day to do 2 things to raise awareness and help moms and moms-2-be around the world.
It may sound small, but if every empowered mom did just 2 simple things to support maternal health and then urged her friends to do the same, together we would make tremendous strides towards our goal to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother. 2 minutes is all it takes to show your support for a global community, the Sisterhood of Motherhood, and these small actions will make a tremendous difference for moms everywhere.
- Upload 2 photos of the day you were born a mom and/or the day your mom had you on our Facebook page
- Share 2 facts about maternal health on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram using the #every2 hashtag
- Donate 2 dollars (or more…we won’t mind)
- Run 2 miles (download the Charity Miles app on your smartphone and each mile run generates a 25 cent donation for EMC)
- Give 2 gifts by making 1 purchase from one of our contributing partners (like Citizens of Humanity, jawbone, Emilie M and more)
- Ask 2 friends to take 2 actions as well. Then make sure to “like” us on Facebook and sign up on our new and improved website to receive regular updates from Every Mother Counts going forward.
Learn more about our Mother’s Day campaign and about what you can do to help make pregnancy and childbirth safe by visiting www.everymothercounts.org/