A recent viral video craze called #neknomination challenges people to down a pint of alcohol on video, then nominate two others to complete the same feat within 24 hours.
It originated in Australia and quickly spread around the world, but soon became more extreme. Tragically two young men in Ireland have lost their lives taking part.
But then South African Brent Lindeque changed the rules with his #neknomination video, in which he filmed himself giving pack lunches to the homeless. In less than two minutes, he turned the viral drinking game into a viral idea for doing social good. His call to action “Change one thing – change everything” is now catching fire.
We decided to take on the social good challenge with our own social good #neknomination video at the ONE headquarters in Washington, D.C. While I typically remain silent about my actions, Lindeque’s random act of kindness inspired me to make them public. Just like Lindeque, the spring intern team decided to pack lunches for DC’s homeless and hand them out. It’s one small way of making this world better place.
Perhaps we’re not ending world hunger with one small action, but we can definitely be reminded to give back and do more. It starts with a smile, a please and thank you, and up to you to make a larger difference by getting other people on board.
Watch our social good #neknomination video here:
What will you do? Here are other ideas to mobilize your friends and community:
1. Write ‘thank you’ cards to service workers, here are some templates from our friends at AFL-CIO
2. Organize a food, book, or coat drive for your local food pantry
3. Participate or organize your own blood drive
4. Hold a fundraiser for the charity of your choice, here’s a guide from our friends at the Enough Project
5. Get political: Hold a phone bank, letter writing campaign, and or lobbying day to press legislators to take action on an issue you care about.
6. Participate in a charity walk/run
7. Start a compost binat home, your school, or office
8. Volunteer, check volunteer match or idealistto find the perfect organization for you
9. Make a ‘party box,’ a reusable box of utensils that replace plastic for parties
10. Build a home with Habitat for Humanity or school with Build On