Action: 67. Time: However much you need. Difficulty: Challenging
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, this year’s holiday season is about to kick into high gear. Does the idea of upcoming holiday cheer leave you in the “giving” mood? It certainly does for us here at ONE HQ!
Here are a few great ways to raise awareness for global hunger during Thanksgiving week and through the holiday season. We’d love to see all our volunteers do something for their local communities and beyond.
1. Host a Holiday Banquet with Oxfam America. Download Oxfam’s planning toolkit to help you plan an interactive, educational holiday dinner that mimics real-life hunger situations. Everything from the place you sit to the meal you eat is determined by the luck of the draw.
2. Pre-register for Global Poverty Project’s Live Below the Line challenge. Experience what it’s like to live on the poverty line by only eating $1.50 worth of food per day. Encourage family and friends to donate to Global Poverty Project while you teach them just how difficult poverty is. Tackle this challenge individually or in teams.
3. Hold a bead party with Bead for Life. Help invest in programs that empower Ugandan women, and take home some beautiful jewelry! Host a bead party in your home, community center, office or school to give your family and friends a fantastic cause to support while they holiday shop.
4. Visit volunteermatch.org or feedingamerica.org to find hunger-related volunteering opportunities in your community. Make sure to wear your ONE shirt and talk to fellow volunteers about ONE’s mission and cause.
5. Get your Thanksgiving guests to tell Congress to protect our US international affairs budget. Why? Because those taxpayer dollars go to reducing world poverty, and our members of Congress need to know that their constituents care about protecting it. Take action by signing the petition below:
What volunteer work do you plan to do for Thanksgiving? Tell us in a comment below.