UPDATE: To accommodate for the high demand for this course, the deadline for the application process has been moved to Wednesday, October 7th at 6 PM EST. Please note that the start date has been moved to Friday, October 9th. See below for details.
ONE’s Kelly Hauser shares an exciting leadership opportunity for our ONE members: Growing Solutions to End Hunger: The Hunger and Agriculture Griot Project. Apply to the free, six-week online course today.
In West Africa, a “griot” is a storyteller, singer, history keeper and agent of cultural change. Echoing this tradition, ONE is excited to announce the launch of the Growing Solutions to End Hunger: Hunger and Agriculture Griots Project, an online course designed to train passionate volunteers into powerful spokespersons in the fight against hunger.
What does it mean to become a Griot?
Griots will kick off their experience with an online learning course designed by programs, policy and advocacy professionals at ONE, the World Food Programme, and WFP-USA. The concept came from Elliot Masie, chair of the Learning CONSORTIUM and an early pioneer in distance learning and e-Learning. This six-week, in-depth course — which will be housed on Blackboard Inc.’s online learning ProSitesTM platform — will include access to cutting-edge articles, videos, lectures and fact sheets about global hunger and sustainable agriculture, as well as skill-building tutorials built by ONE and WFP-USA campaigners. As a participant in the Hunger and Agriculture Griots course, you will hone your campaigning skills and take action to end hunger under the guidance of ONE and WFP-USA, ultimately become a leading force in the fight against hunger.
Through this interactive course, ONE will equip you with the tools to be a local advocate in your community, a voice in the media, an engaging presenter at neighborhood church basement meetings and an educator to everyone you meet. We need more Griots working to change lives and to rid the world of hunger and poverty. During the course and afterward, ONE will guide you in making your voice heard in the struggle to make hunger history. This is your opportunity to be a part of the story and to truly make a difference.
What you’ll do
- Successfully complete a six-week, intensive online education course
- Be a part of a live campaign to end hunger
- Organize your own action project to educate and mobilize your peers
- Learn to write Letters to the Editor and to use new media tools for advocacy
- Refine your public speaking and presentation skills
What we’re looking for
- Interest in ending global hunger
- Ability to learn and navigate new technology
- Access to computer with audio/video capabilities
- Outgoing personality (or a willingness to reach out to your community)
- Civic interest and understanding
- Commitment of 6-8 hours per week for six weeks
What you’ll walk away with
- Ability to advocate intelligently for agriculture as a solution to hunger
- Sense of accomplishment at having used new skills and knowledge to make a difference
- Opportunity to be a community leader
- Connections to ONE field organizers and WFP-USA outreach staff
- Power to truly help put an end to hunger worldwide
The course will start on October 9, 2011 and end on November 18, 2011. You can find the application form HERE. Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 7, 2011 at 2 p.m. EST. You will receive notification of your acceptance within 2-3 business days.
Also check out this clip about griots from Youssou N’Dour’s “I Bring What I Love.”