Unless otherwise indicated: ONE, Food Farming Future: Breaking the Cycle of Malnutrition and Poverty (Washington: ONE, 2012).
1. World Bank, 2008, accessed 3/25/12, http://go.worldbank.org/T0TEVOV4E0.
4. UN Food and Agriculture Organization, “Global hunger declining, but still unacceptably high,” 2010, accessed 3/25/12, http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al390e/al390e00.pdf.
8. Oxfam, Growing a Better Future: Food justice in a resource-constrained world, 2011, https://www.oxfam.org.au/grow/files/2011/05/growing-better-future-report1.pdf.
9. World Bank, Agriculture: an Engine for Growth and Poverty Reduction, 2009, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/IDA/Resources/IDA-Agriculture.pdf.
10. ONE calculations based on hunger figures from FAO, State of Food Insecurity, The Global Hunger Information Portal, http://www.fao.org/hunger/en/, accessed January 25, 2011; population figures from US Census, International Data Base, http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/worldpopinfo.php, accessed January 25, 2011.
13. Oluyede Clifford Ajayi, Frank Place, Festus Kehinde Akinnifesi, Gudeta Weldsesemayat Sileshi, “Agricultural success from Africa: the case of fertilizer tree systems in southern Africa (Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe),” International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 2011, 10.3763/ijas.2010.0554.
15. United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Africa Review Report on Sustainable Consumption and Production, 2010, accessed 4/4/12, http://www.uneca.org/csd/csd6/AfricanReviewReport-on-SustainableConsumption.pdf.
16. UNHDR, Beyond Scarcity: Power, poverty and the global water crisis, 2006, http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2006/.
17. Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System, CAADP Targets, 2010, accessed 4/4/12, http://www.resakss.org/.
18. Facts in this section from the Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP) website, accessed 4/2/12, www.gafspfund.org.
20. UN FAO, Executive Brief: the Sahel Crisis, March 2012, accessed 4/4/12, http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/EXECUTIVE_BRIEF_TCE_23_March.pdf
22. OCHA, Humanitarian Dashboard: Sahel Food and Nutrition Crisis, February 2012, accessed 4/2/12, http://ochaonline.un.org/OchaLinkClick.aspx?link=ocha&docId=1325108.